Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade from Mojave 10.14.6 to Sierra 10.12.6

Hey all,

I recently bought a refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro to replace my old one (same model). Only thing is, the new laptop came with Mojave preinstalled, and my recording programs aren't compatible with anything past Sierra. Is there an easy way to downgrade to the older OS without screwing my stuff up?

Cheers

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 7:45 PM

Downgrading from Mojave to Sierra will require that you erase and reformat the drive. ALL data will be erased.

Make sure you have a backup copy of all of your documents and data before you attempt to reinstall that earlier OS.

The easiest way to install the earlier OS on the new MacBook Pro will be to make a Time Machine backup copy of the old machine, and then use the backup to restore that OS onto the new MacBook Pro.

Please see: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Also see: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

OTHERWISE, you'll have to create a bootable installer for 10.11 El Capitan, use that to install El Capitan, then upgrade to 10.12 Sierra after downloading the installer disk image for Sierra. That process is as below.

1) Download Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and create a bootable USB installer. Use that to load El Capitan on your computer.

Please see the instructions here: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

2) Download the disk image for the macOS 10.12 Sierra installer, expand that and launch the installer.

Follow the instructions here: How to download macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 7:45 PM in response to CaptMordo

Downgrading from Mojave to Sierra will require that you erase and reformat the drive. ALL data will be erased.

Make sure you have a backup copy of all of your documents and data before you attempt to reinstall that earlier OS.

The easiest way to install the earlier OS on the new MacBook Pro will be to make a Time Machine backup copy of the old machine, and then use the backup to restore that OS onto the new MacBook Pro.

Please see: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Also see: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

OTHERWISE, you'll have to create a bootable installer for 10.11 El Capitan, use that to install El Capitan, then upgrade to 10.12 Sierra after downloading the installer disk image for Sierra. That process is as below.

1) Download Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and create a bootable USB installer. Use that to load El Capitan on your computer.

Please see the instructions here: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

2) Download the disk image for the macOS 10.12 Sierra installer, expand that and launch the installer.

Follow the instructions here: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Downgrade from Mojave 10.14.6 to Sierra 10.12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.