Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.7.1 update caused severe ghost touch and I cant even restore my XR

I have an iphone XR, not even 3 years old. Update done last night without giving me the option to decline. Immediately this morning after update completed, severe ghost touch.

Here is what I have done to try and remedy this

1. Hard reset using volume up, volume down, lock screen button
  2. Reset all settings
  3. Erase all content and settings and restore from icloud backup
  4. Erase all content and settings and set up as new phone
  5. Multiple update and restores using Macbook.

after the 4th or 5th time doing number 5, it finally worked and stopped glitching so hard between screens for about 4 hours. now its back on its BS. I have tried all steps again and am quite ready to throw my phone against wall.

Apple Support is absolutely no help. Nor am I in a location with an Apple store within 4-5 hours from me.

When I get to the "setup phone" part of restarting everything, it keeps changing screens and languages without even touching the screen. Phone was working perfectly last night. Any suggestions?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 9:36 PM

I am sure that you have checked the performance of your iPhone's touch screen by removing the screen protector (If you had one installed) and also removing it from its case (If you have it in a case). This will eliminate any outside influences while you test.

More than like, your touch screen is failing. You have done some very good troubleshooting and since you have been unsuccessful at resolving the issue, I have to conclude that the screen is failing.

Axel F.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 9:36 PM in response to melaerichmond

I am sure that you have checked the performance of your iPhone's touch screen by removing the screen protector (If you had one installed) and also removing it from its case (If you have it in a case). This will eliminate any outside influences while you test.

More than like, your touch screen is failing. You have done some very good troubleshooting and since you have been unsuccessful at resolving the issue, I have to conclude that the screen is failing.

Axel F.

Aug 14, 2021 1:09 AM in response to melaerichmond

hello.. i have an iphone xr and after updating to ios 14.7.1 there were slight issues with the touch.. i already test it by taking all the accessories such as tempered glass and casing.. i even reset my phone to factory setting even hard reset i did it also but still there are moments specially when someone is calling i can't slide the screen because it won't touch.. isbthere any possible solution to cater such concern without downgrading my ios? apart from resetting, coz i've done that for a gazillion times.. it coat me my files once.. please..

Oct 25, 2021 11:52 AM in response to nvlron

Same here, my touch screen is Ghost touching stuff and scrolling up unnecessarily and its annoying. I remember when phones just worked and there was no need for all these updates that causes more problems than fixes. Why can't we just have phones that work and no need to upgrade / update ever so often. TURN THE CAPITALISM ENGINE down just a bit so people can enjoy things.

iOS 14.7.1 update caused severe ghost touch and I cant even restore my XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.