Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the correct settings in order to watch 4k content using Apple TV 4K?

So I am uncertain, what the settings should be set to in regards to the following:

FORMAT

MATCH CONTENT

if anyone know some answers, do let me know.

Thank you!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 6:16 PM

You should set it to what works for you. That is why it is configurable.

For 4K support, set Apple TV Format to 4K (3840×2160).

For the refresh rate (Hz), set Apple TV to 60 Hz in NTSC countries, or to 50 Hz in PAL countries.

If your TV does HDR or Dolby Vision, then I would suggest to set Apple TV to SDR and turn on Match Dynamic Range.

If your TV supports the various offered content frame rates, then I would suggest to set Apple TV to Match Frame Rate.

I would suggest to set Apple TV Color Space to YCbCr (not RGB), as the source video will be YCbCr, and your TV can handle it just fine.

I would suggest to set Apple TV Chroma to 4:2:0, as all streaming video is 4:2:0 in their file, and other chroma settings would not increase video quality, but only increase bandwidth use (possibly at the cost of other video properties).

About frame rate and dynamic range matching on Apple TV - Apple Support

About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Adjust video settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2021 6:16 PM in response to caboy69

You should set it to what works for you. That is why it is configurable.

For 4K support, set Apple TV Format to 4K (3840×2160).

For the refresh rate (Hz), set Apple TV to 60 Hz in NTSC countries, or to 50 Hz in PAL countries.

If your TV does HDR or Dolby Vision, then I would suggest to set Apple TV to SDR and turn on Match Dynamic Range.

If your TV supports the various offered content frame rates, then I would suggest to set Apple TV to Match Frame Rate.

I would suggest to set Apple TV Color Space to YCbCr (not RGB), as the source video will be YCbCr, and your TV can handle it just fine.

I would suggest to set Apple TV Chroma to 4:2:0, as all streaming video is 4:2:0 in their file, and other chroma settings would not increase video quality, but only increase bandwidth use (possibly at the cost of other video properties).

About frame rate and dynamic range matching on Apple TV - Apple Support

About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Adjust video settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

What are the correct settings in order to watch 4k content using Apple TV 4K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.