Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove encryption password for backup as i forgot the password

How to remove encryption password for backup as i forgot the password. i have reset the setting on my iphone. But am not able to do a backup without the encryption password to restore in another iphone

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 12:14 AM

if you don't know the password that you created for your backups, you will not be able to use the backup.

I believe you get to keep guessing, so if you have common passwords that you use, try those. Also if you created a password hint when you set it up, that might display after an attempt or two.

If you have a Mac, did you save the password to Keychain? You can open Keychain Access and type 'backup' into the search field and it should show your iOS backups if you did.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 12:14 AM in response to Carabb

if you don't know the password that you created for your backups, you will not be able to use the backup.

I believe you get to keep guessing, so if you have common passwords that you use, try those. Also if you created a password hint when you set it up, that might display after an attempt or two.

If you have a Mac, did you save the password to Keychain? You can open Keychain Access and type 'backup' into the search field and it should show your iOS backups if you did.

How to remove encryption password for backup as i forgot the password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.