Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Encryption Password for iPhone Backup

How can I Reset Encryption Password for iPhone Backup?

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 10:37 PM

About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1. When asked, make a password. Create one that you'll remember or write it down and store it safely, because there's no way to use your backup without this password. If you forgot your password, learn what to do.

2 replies

Sep 7, 2021 11:20 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thank you for your rapid reply but there is one fortuitous difference in the description:

Note that in step 3 under "If you can't remember........" on "Learn What To Do" it states, " it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper." as well as the encryption password.

This was the bit I was dreading, resetting my home screen layout. I had to do this once before for a different reason and the Home Screen reverted to an alphabetic list of native apps and all my folders of third party apps were gone. As you can imagine it took a while to recreate the layout as it had been.

But it didn't happen. After Resetting All Settings only my Lock Screen image changed, everything else remained the same on my Home Screen. Of course all my WiFi settings were gone and my Location and Notification settings but resetting them is not a bad thing anyway. It also deletes the device name, returning it to "iPhone".

Maybe this is a change in iOS 14, I cannot say but if it is it's a good one. Returning my iPhone to its original state took almost no time at all. Yes, I did have to set up Apple Pay again but the previous card I used was remembered and I had the option to use the same card again just be adding the 3 digit number on the back.

To sum up, if you must Reset All Settings it's nowhere near as daunting as it used to be.

Reset Encryption Password for iPhone Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.