Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect a 2nd monitor to one of the USB-C ports of my M1 Mac Mini?

I have one monitor connected to it via HDMI, and I would like to connect a second one via one of the USB-C ports. I’m a bit confused about what exactly “DisplayPort” is supposed to be. If I get a monitor with a DisplayPort port, what cable do I need to get to connect it to my M1 Mac mini?

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 5:27 AM

crissequeira89 wrote:

I have one monitor connected to it via HDMI, and I would like to connect a second one via one of the USB-C ports. I’m a bit confused about what exactly “DisplayPort” is supposed to be. If I get a monitor with a DisplayPort port, what cable do I need to get to connect it to my M1 Mac mini?

The majority of new displays these days have both HDMI and DisplayPort interfaces. There are a few that also have direct USB-C support, although this interface technology is still a bit new and results are varied.

In terms of cables, you will need either a certified USB-C to DisplayPort cable or a certified USB-C to HDMI cable. There are tons of these sorts of cables on the market but not all have been certified by either VESA consortium (DisplayPort) or the HDMI consortium and quality and performance can vary or be down right poor. Certified cables at least of been totally tested and scrutinized for performance and a certain set of test procedures must be followed by the cable manufacturers to maintain that certification.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 5:27 AM in response to crissequeira89

crissequeira89 wrote:

The majority of new displays these days have both HDMI and DisplayPort interfaces. There are a few that also have direct USB-C support, although this interface technology is still a bit new and results are varied.

In terms of cables, you will need either a certified USB-C to DisplayPort cable or a certified USB-C to HDMI cable. There are tons of these sorts of cables on the market but not all have been certified by either VESA consortium (DisplayPort) or the HDMI consortium and quality and performance can vary or be down right poor. Certified cables at least of been totally tested and scrutinized for performance and a certain set of test procedures must be followed by the cable manufacturers to maintain that certification.

How do I connect a 2nd monitor to one of the USB-C ports of my M1 Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.