Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone storage is full. If I deleted on iphone will it stay in icloud?

My iphone storage is full. If I delete phones to make more storage do they stay in icloud?

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:18 AM

tjb75 wrote:

My iphone storage is full. If I delete phones to make more storage do they stay in icloud?

No. If you are using iCloud Photos and you delete the photos from the phone, you will delete them from iCloud as well. iCloud is a syncing service, not off device storage.

If you backup your photos with iCloud, and you delete the photos from the phone, they will not be included in the next backup and you will ultimately lose them as well.

You can archive the photos to a computer if you are using iCloud Photos.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

If you are not using iCloud Photos, you can import them to a computer. Ignore the section about using iCloud Photos.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 7:18 AM in response to tjb75

tjb75 wrote:

No. If you are using iCloud Photos and you delete the photos from the phone, you will delete them from iCloud as well. iCloud is a syncing service, not off device storage.

If you backup your photos with iCloud, and you delete the photos from the phone, they will not be included in the next backup and you will ultimately lose them as well.

You can archive the photos to a computer if you are using iCloud Photos.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

If you are not using iCloud Photos, you can import them to a computer. Ignore the section about using iCloud Photos.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iphone storage is full. If I deleted on iphone will it stay in icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.