Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound playing back wav files after upgrading to Big Sur

I upgraded my MacBook Pro late 2013 to OSX Big Sur, and now my wave files do almost lost the sound volume. It is really hardly recognisable that there is a sound at all even with maxed out the speaker volume. Speaker and Volume control is ok because i can hear the sound for example in youtube.

Does anyone else have such problems ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:35 AM

Open your sound preferences and select Output > Built-in. Then either single-click on the .wav file to play it in the Finder. Once the .wav has played in the Finder, it will not play again with a single-click until you click elsewhere and then click on the .wav again.

You can also double-click on the .wav file to open it with the Music app. Click Play. Works fine on my 2014 MacBook Air running macOS 11.5.1

The default opening application for a downloaded .wav file will be Apple's Music application on Big Sur, which you can confirm with a Get Info on the .wav file. This is what is playing the audio when you single-click on the .wav file.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 7:35 AM in response to Daniel_LG

Open your sound preferences and select Output > Built-in. Then either single-click on the .wav file to play it in the Finder. Once the .wav has played in the Finder, it will not play again with a single-click until you click elsewhere and then click on the .wav again.

You can also double-click on the .wav file to open it with the Music app. Click Play. Works fine on my 2014 MacBook Air running macOS 11.5.1

The default opening application for a downloaded .wav file will be Apple's Music application on Big Sur, which you can confirm with a Get Info on the .wav file. This is what is playing the audio when you single-click on the .wav file.

no sound playing back wav files after upgrading to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.