Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Abnormal screen scratches MacBook Pro M1?

Hi everyone,

I've purchased a MacBook Pro M1 on 7th June, so I'm basically 2 months into it now.

It's not my first MacBook Pro and I have been very disappointed recently by the screen that scratches easily. After noticing a permanent scratch after only a week of usage at home, without travel or anything, I started looking after it to a maniac level (i.e. making sure there is no debris or anything when closing the computer, as I believed the first scratch may have been caused by the pressure from it to the screen). However, despite my careful attention scratches continue to appear so easily and for no apparent reason. It's only 2 months now and I wonder if that is normal, as I saw in other forums (but not to much) that a few people had the same issue that could be linked to a default coating on the screen?

I am very surprised because this is supposed to be a portable computer you can carry with you from places to places (I travel a lot), but at this pace I am afraid that screen is never going to last as long as my old MacBook Pro 2011... Which ended with no scratches at all (a sign I take great care of my stuff). I am aware the Retina display may be more fragile than the previous solid-glass model, but do you think these scratches are somehow normal after 2 months ? Could I hope for a replacement/solution from apple? If not, are there any screen protector you can purchase?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 7:18 AM

Dalous wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've purchased a MacBook Pro M1 on 7th June, so I'm basically 2 months into it now.
It's not my first MacBook Pro and I have been very disappointed recently by the screen that scratches easily. After noticing a permanent scratch after only a week of usage at home, without travel or anything, I started looking after it to a maniac level (i.e. making sure there is no debris or anything when closing the computer, as I believed the first scratch may have been caused by the pressure from it to the screen). However, despite my careful attention scratches continue to appear so easily and for no apparent reason. It's only 2 months now and I wonder if that is normal, as I saw in other forums (but not to much) that a few people had the same issue that could be linked to a default coating on the screen?

I am very surprised because this is supposed to be a portable computer you can carry with you from places to places (I travel a lot), but at this pace I am afraid that screen is never going to last as long as my old MacBook Pro 2011... Which ended with no scratches at all (a sign I take great care of my stuff). I am aware the Retina display may be more fragile than the previous solid-glass model, but do you think these scratches are somehow normal after 2 months ? Could I hope for a replacement/solution from apple? If not, are there any screen protector you can purchase?

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Dalous

Dalous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Aug 28, 2021 2:55 PM in response to Dalous

I think they have a serious issue with the screens. There are numerous posts and complaints about broken and cracked screens all over the internet. Like usual though, it will take for ever for Apple to admit they have a manufacturing issue. My screen is the same, and I haven't even taken it out of the house yet.

Aug 15, 2021 5:07 AM in response to Dalous

Hey! I'm having the same problem here, just found a bizarre scratch on my screen, I couldn't believe because I have a 2011 MacBook Pro too and the aluminium body its literally damaged from use in several ways, but screen still looks perfect with no major scratches. My new MacBook Pro M1 is 1 month old and today I found a super weird scratch, when the screen is turned off looks tiny but when screen is on the screen show some "pixel dust" its frustrating. It feels like this MacBook will not last as my old MacBook!

Abnormal screen scratches MacBook Pro M1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.