Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

maximizing by double clicking on the title bar not working

just updated my 2017 macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1323) and got this OLD issue again. Double clicking on the title bar on ANY window will not fit the window on the screen, just get a random behavior in which windows will only enlarge vertically or horizontally.

Just tried enabling/disabling maximize window by clicking on the titlebar (dock properties), restarted my mac and same issue.

Can`t believe how frustrating working with windows has become on MacOs.

Anyone with the same issue?

I resist to use the "option + corner window arrow" shortcut - just tooooo precise.

update: office apps do well, it's just finder, safari and ios apps in general the ones that wont work as expected

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 4:24 AM

Thank you guys for your imput.

According to https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-apps-in-full-screen-mchl9c21d2be/mac, "You can also double-click the app’s title bar (along the top of the app window) to maximize the window"

The thing is, as a mac relatively recent user (2017), i found windows management SO INCONSISTENT and frustrating .

Never thought it would be so far from intuitive.

"Yes in mail, but no in safari, and even different in finder", is just a mess, and definitely not as simple as presented in apple's support page.

The same goes for closing a window, red button wont close an app. But WAIT yes in i-movie, yes in notes, yes in calc yes in calendar... oh wait, no no, no in calendar... no in calendar...

Not to mention that Mission Control will arrange same set of windows randomly everytime you activate it... even seconds away.

Just seems an brain game more than a production tool...

i wont mess up with Finder, will need a dedicate thread for that...

Maybe its better to run to feedback page... just wanted to post here in case anyone with the same frustation wants to share theirs

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 4:24 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you guys for your imput.

According to https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-apps-in-full-screen-mchl9c21d2be/mac, "You can also double-click the app’s title bar (along the top of the app window) to maximize the window"

The thing is, as a mac relatively recent user (2017), i found windows management SO INCONSISTENT and frustrating .

Never thought it would be so far from intuitive.

"Yes in mail, but no in safari, and even different in finder", is just a mess, and definitely not as simple as presented in apple's support page.

The same goes for closing a window, red button wont close an app. But WAIT yes in i-movie, yes in notes, yes in calc yes in calendar... oh wait, no no, no in calendar... no in calendar...

Not to mention that Mission Control will arrange same set of windows randomly everytime you activate it... even seconds away.

Just seems an brain game more than a production tool...

i wont mess up with Finder, will need a dedicate thread for that...

Maybe its better to run to feedback page... just wanted to post here in case anyone with the same frustation wants to share theirs

Aug 9, 2021 8:01 PM in response to Francisco C.

Double clicking on the title bar on ANY window will not fit the window on the screen, just get a random behavior in which windows will only enlarge vertically or horizontally.

It's not random and is how Zoom works. Zoom is not Maximize. Zoom toggles between a user set window size and the smallest window that can contain the content of the window. In General a browser window's content will have a fixed width and a size that extends below the screen bounds. So, zooming Safari will expand top to bottom, but may not fill the width.

Again, Zoom is not Maximize.

It has been that way for over 30 years.

App developers may choose not to follow that paradigm if it doesn't make sense for their app.

maximizing by double clicking on the title bar not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.