Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Menu Bar bug (in full screen)

Hi everyone, yesterday I updated my MacBook Pro 16 to Big Sur 11.4 from Catalina 10.15.7.

After using it for a while I noticed some Menu Bar glitches when applications are opened in full screen. For instance when I watch a pdf document in Preview (opened in full screen) and I move the cursor to the top, the Menu Bar very frequently appears absolutely transparent. Menu items are messed up with the content below which is visible (like on screenshot). I never saw something like this on Catalina.

Do you have the same problem??

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 11:25 AM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2021 11:25 AM in response to MacVittorio

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jun 14, 2021 11:52 AM in response to MacVittorio

Have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

If you have do the following: download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Jun 15, 2021 10:34 AM in response to Old Toad

I found a solution to my problem, I set Reduce transparency in System preferences...>Accessibility>Display

and till now I haven't seen the bug. It looks like there is a transparency bug in Big Sur no matter it is in light or dark mode!

I really hope this bug will be fixed in future updates or in Monterey!

Most often bug persists in Microsoft Remote Desktop which I use frequently these days. It appears instantly when I log in and transparency is on!

Big Sur Menu Bar bug (in full screen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.