Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious CPU slowdown problem which crashes Protools

If any of you can help me interpret my Etrecheck results and maybe see if you can help find what the culprit is which causes my Protools DAW to crash from low CPU power. I will be forever grateful.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 5:36 PM

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device.

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, even with the power adapter connected, the charged state may even decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and will perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. There are three micro-controllers cooperating on battery and charging issues, and your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 5:36 PM in response to EmptyAngelo_jak

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device.

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, even with the power adapter connected, the charged state may even decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and will perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. There are three micro-controllers cooperating on battery and charging issues, and your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

Aug 8, 2021 5:49 PM in response to EmptyAngelo_jak

If you launch it and leave it running, DropBox scans you files incessantly.

DropBox is Not a native Mac Application. It was ported to the Mac from that other Operating System. Because it was ported, not converted, it ignores built-in MacOS features such as the File System Event Store, a list of recent (last few days) changed folders.

DropBox Searches ALL your files, looking for anything that might have changed. And it also does the same thing on your "stuff" already on the cloud. This burm=ns through computer resources for, in most cases, no advantage. you could launch it when you needed to update something, and quit it when down, saving lot of computer power and a boatload of I/O.

Serious CPU slowdown problem which crashes Protools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.