Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos export in original format is just creating empty files

I am attempting to export my original RAW photo files from Photos to an external SSD. I make a selection and then File>Export>Export Unmodified Original Photos For XX Photos.., and then complete the pop up without ticking the Export IPTC as XMP and choose my folder on an external SSD (formatted ExFAT). However the resultant file, whilst professing to be the correctly named file (XXX.CR2) is in fact and empty file - zero bytes. If I export as the modified version then all works well. It is not the RAW format that is the problem as it will recur if I export an unmodified JPEG, and this problem only occurs when I attempt export to the SSD, it will work exporting unmodified files to the desktop which I can then drag to the SSD and subsequently delete, so I have a work around, but I can't see why this is happening. My software is all up to date Big Sur 11.5.1 and Photos 6.0. I have tried rebooting and and attempting it without any other programs running.

Any ideas

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 8:35 AM

Hi

You are the second person I've seen in the last day or so with exactly this issue. See this thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253021830

Do you also use optimise mac storage?

Definitely something odd going on. Can you export to an external drive formatted APFS or MacOS extended? (If you have one).

I'd suggest feeding back to apple as a bug report here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 8:35 AM in response to TIM LONG IRAN

Hi

You are the second person I've seen in the last day or so with exactly this issue. See this thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253021830

Do you also use optimise mac storage?

Definitely something odd going on. Can you export to an external drive formatted APFS or MacOS extended? (If you have one).

I'd suggest feeding back to apple as a bug report here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Aug 8, 2021 10:49 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Unfortunately all of my external drives are ExFat other than Time Machine so I can't check with other formats. I'm afraid I don't know what optimise mac storage is - if it's to do with the cloud, I don't use it, as I don't trust my connection. Strange that I didn't see the other thread on the subject, as I searched, but as it's not solved, that may have stopped it appearing. I have, as suggested, made a report to Apple via feedback.

Aug 12, 2021 11:56 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for posting here! I found this thread when experiencing the exact same issue, but exporting originals to a USB stick. Fortunately, since the stick was empty, I tried reformatting the stick with different filesystems and found that it seems dependent on the format:

FAT32: Zero byte files

ExFAT: Zero byte files

MacOS Extended (CS, J): Full files

Even stranger, when checking the "Export IPTC as XMP" box, the XMP files are 1KB on all formats, even when all the other files (including .aae) are zero bytes.

I'm running Big Sur 11.5.1, and 11.5.2 came out yesterday. I've no idea if it has a fix for this, and unfortunately OS upgrades take over 2 hours for me due to our corporate antivirus (Sophos) slowing all file operations down. But I'll try to do the upgrade this evening and see if it helps. (This is deeply frustrating for me right now, as I need to get these photos over to a Windows machine - hence the need for FAT.)

Sep 22, 2021 2:35 AM in response to TIM LONG IRAN

To continue on this theme, anyone know what sort of data recovery process might be used to get deleted photos from the Photos (local) library file? Just had this happen to me after exporting 2.5 years of photo memories to an external HDD. The process finished without incident, saw the photos were all there, then deleted originals to save space. But of course, the photos were all empty.

Never been a "I'll never buy this brand again" sort of person, but with this and an incident where Apple automatically converted all my voice notes to a crappy level of quality without my consent on software update, I'm turning that direction.

You can have weird glitches for decades, Apple, and that's fine. But you can't mess with people's personal records or force us to use software that corrupts them. Probably going to unload this Macbook Air for a Windows box. At least they still have USB ports, so...bonus.

Sep 23, 2021 8:59 AM in response to PJ943

A way to find the photos in the original form, even if deleted in Photos is to:

Home Folder -> Pictures Folder -> Photos Library.photoslibrary

then right click to "Show Package Contents"

This will give you a list of folders with the originals in it. At this point drag the Originals folder as is to a new drive. holding he option key to make a duplicate.

At this point you should have a copy of the photos on the new drive.

Sep 23, 2021 10:49 AM in response to ccleve

If you do tjat

ccleve wrote:

A way to find the photos in the original form, even if deleted in Photos is to:
Home Folder -> Pictures Folder -> Photos Library.photoslibrary
then right click to "Show Package Contents"
This will give you a list of folders with the originals in it. At this point drag the Originals folder as is to a new drive. holding he option key to make a duplicate.
At this point you should have a copy of the photos on the new drive.

Don't do that except in the most extreme of cases. For a start you lose all your filenames and risk trashing the existing library.

Oct 15, 2021 3:00 PM in response to yozlet

This is the solution I needed. I'm moving all of my photo storage to an ExFat formatted external hard drive, and was running into this 0kb exports issue. After reading this I tried exporting the 'unmodified originals' to another hard drive that happened to be Macintosh Extended, and all the photos exported correctly. I then transferred the photos from the second external drive to the first. Huge pain, won't be using Photos again, I'd rather store them as actual files and edit them in 3rd party software. In-fact, I just bought Lightroom for that reason.

Oct 15, 2021 11:02 PM in response to BearPhotographer

I'm actually a Lightroom user, but just for clarification:

I'd rather store them as actual files

Photos stores your images as "actual" files. It's just that in the default setting those are hidden from user view. This is done to help prevent the inexperienced user mucking up the library.

and edit them in 3rd party software

This is perfectly possible with Photos too. You can send an image from Photos to any pixel editor and get the edit back.

Photos export in original format is just creating empty files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.