Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning AV HDMI Adapter True or False?

So I happen to buy a cheap Lightning AV Adapter costed around $7 but it just warm my phone quickly and this cheap one needs to be connected to a charger for it to work.

Here's my question;

Is it true that Apple's original Lightning AV HDMI Adapter that cost around $45 to $50 doesn't need to be connected or to be charged in order for it to work?

Because I'm planning to buy the original one on iStore tomorrow and I just want to check if when I try to connect it with my phone even without the hdmi cable and without charging it, I will be expecting that an indicator will popup to trust the device and know that my phone is connected to something or to the adapter in that way, I can determine that the adapter is originally from Apple.

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 8:24 AM

Hello ellis_cadusale,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support communities. We understand that you are wanting to know if you need to charge an Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter before it is able to be used. We would love to provide you support on this. 

The short answer to your question is no, you will not need to charge the adapter before you are able to use it.

Learn more about compatible Apple Adapters here: About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Thank you for allowing us to support you.

Have an awesome and productive day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 8:24 AM in response to ellis_cadusale

Hello ellis_cadusale,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support communities. We understand that you are wanting to know if you need to charge an Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter before it is able to be used. We would love to provide you support on this. 

The short answer to your question is no, you will not need to charge the adapter before you are able to use it.

Learn more about compatible Apple Adapters here: About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Thank you for allowing us to support you.

Have an awesome and productive day!

Lightning AV HDMI Adapter True or False?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.