Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn off Microphone

I have an iPhone X. I have a Bluetooth connected hearing aide. My phone is set to where the microphone is always on. In the upper left hand corner of my screen there is a blue microphone icon. If I am sending a text message there is no microphone icon in the lower right hand corner.

This is problematic when I am texting because the phone picks up any and all conversations happening around me. There I have to type in a completely silent room. Again, when sending a text message, There is no microphone icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen (I would normally be able to click this to turn on the microphone and start speech to text dictation then click it to turn off dictation) but this button is not showing.

any ideas??? Thanks!

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 9:24 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Drew4242.

If we understand your post correctly, you'd like to turn off dictation so that while using your Bluetooth hearing aide your iPhone doesn't attempt to text the conversation going on around you. We’d like to help.

This guide will show you how to turn dictation on and off:

Dictate text on iPhone

If you're unable to turn off dictation, check to see if you have restrictions set up. Tap Settings > Screen Time.

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 9:24 AM in response to Drew4242

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Drew4242.

If we understand your post correctly, you'd like to turn off dictation so that while using your Bluetooth hearing aide your iPhone doesn't attempt to text the conversation going on around you. We’d like to help.

This guide will show you how to turn dictation on and off:

Dictate text on iPhone

If you're unable to turn off dictation, check to see if you have restrictions set up. Tap Settings > Screen Time.

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cannot turn off Microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.