Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speech to Text Dictation issue

Since upgrading my iPhone 13 to iOS 16.0.2, I’m having a problem with speech to text dictation in ALL apps. I get this icon (pictured) that suggests the mic is off. But I know the mic is working (all is good when recording a Voice Memo and taking on the phone, etc.) but for the life of me cannot figure out why the device thinks the mic is turned off, or how to turn it on. I’ve tried settings>privacy>microphone but to no avail. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 1:39 PM

Sure enough! Just spoke with Apple Support again. He had me undo the changes to the language and region settings (everything back to US and English) and dictation is now working as expected. Hope this helps anyone else out there having the same issue!

5 replies

Oct 6, 2022 9:07 AM in response to ClaySand007

So far, Apple asked me to try a workaround: In Settings / General / Language & Region, change the Region to another country (I chose Singapore). Then, in Settings / Siri & Search, change the language to something other than your default (I chose Swedish). After about 10 minutes, try dictation again and it should work -- dictation started working again! (Of course, Siri is speaking to me in Swedish, but after 24 hours, Apple wants me to change the settings back to what I had before.)

Sep 27, 2022 8:01 AM in response to ClaySand007

Hello ClaySand007,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have some questions about your iPhone and using dictation, and we'd like to help.

Have you tried restarting your iPhone, to see if the issue remains? Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If you're still having the mic issue with dictation, you'll want to contact Apple Support:

Apple Support

Regards.

Speech to Text Dictation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.