Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off startup sound on my Macbook Pro

I'm trying to turn off my start-up sound on my macbook pro. I am running Catalina. The option for "play sound on startup" does not appear as one of the options in Sound Effects. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 4:34 PM

you can try opening terminal (in Applications > Utilities) and copy and paste "sudo nvram StartupMute=%01" without the quote marks into terminal window and press "return". enter your mac's admin password when prompted and press "return". then restart your mac to test.

12 replies

Aug 9, 2021 9:07 AM in response to carolquper

carolquper wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - I had found that article but just doesn't apply to Catalina unfortunately.

Actually, it does; however, it was a bit more indirect than I thought and I should have given you the direct link instead. Sorry!

In that article, it had a link "sold between 2016 and 2020" which would take you to a How-To Geek page that pretty much offered you the same solution as jefferythefrog gave you. It was in the "How to Disable the Mac Startup Chime" section. I just thought you may benefit from a screen shot of the command.

Can't turn off startup sound on my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.