Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted process in Activity Monitor with high CPU usage

Hello - A process called "deleted" is using up a lot of my CPU time. I am using macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7. It is slowing down my computer significantly. I have searched for this issue online but could not find any reliable way to address the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 7:24 PM

Several things you can try:

(1) Shut down and reset the SMC for your Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

(2) Shut down and reboot into Safe Mode. Wait until this (slower) boot up process completes fully. Check your processes in Safe Mode, is the problem gone? Reboot normally and recheck for the runaway process.

(3) Run Etrecheck and paste the output into a reply here using the "Additional text" button that looks like a sheet of paper. Sometimes installed software causes this problem (one example is the iStat utility, which supposedly has been fixed, but it's an example of how installing software or utilities can interfere with the MacOS).

"deleted" is actually the CacheDelete process, which is used to purge caches on disk. Booting into Safe Mode clears some caches, it might resolve this. The SMC reset may resolve an error stemming from other processes used to regulate power and temperature in the computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 7:24 PM in response to Elma42

Several things you can try:

(1) Shut down and reset the SMC for your Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

(2) Shut down and reboot into Safe Mode. Wait until this (slower) boot up process completes fully. Check your processes in Safe Mode, is the problem gone? Reboot normally and recheck for the runaway process.

(3) Run Etrecheck and paste the output into a reply here using the "Additional text" button that looks like a sheet of paper. Sometimes installed software causes this problem (one example is the iStat utility, which supposedly has been fixed, but it's an example of how installing software or utilities can interfere with the MacOS).

"deleted" is actually the CacheDelete process, which is used to purge caches on disk. Booting into Safe Mode clears some caches, it might resolve this. The SMC reset may resolve an error stemming from other processes used to regulate power and temperature in the computer.

Deleted process in Activity Monitor with high CPU usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.