Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.5.1 keystroke delays

Since installing Big Sur 11.5.1 there are many occasions when keystrokes don't get recognized and the beach ball shows up for a second or two before the keystroke is displayed. This happens in several apps; the most frustrating being in Mac mail. I can be typing a new email and new keystrokes don't get displayed sporadically, and the beach ball spins AFTER the keystroke is not displayed for a second or so. This also happens in other apps - Chrome, MS Word etc.

Also, when using the touch unlock, the same thing happens: no response to a finger touch fo 3 or 4 seconds. Usually requires 2 or 3 attempts to unlock with touch.

None of this happened with earlier Big Sur versions. This is on a 2020 Intel 16GB Macbook Pro.

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 7:19 AM

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 7:19 AM in response to travellerva

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Aug 9, 2021 6:49 PM in response to CT

Thanks for helping. I tried the safe boot and using a test guest account. They both had the same behavior as my own account. It was particularly bad when attempting to scroll emails or Word documents.

So I resigned myself to having to reinstall macOS. However, as I prepped the system for doing that - taking backups etc - the problem seemed to have gone away. I looked at some other ideas and someone said that just doing a safe boot and then a regular boot can clear problems like this so maybe that did it. I;d certainly like to avoid reinstalling macOS if I can.

Nevertheless, I'll run EtreCheck and see if it digs up something.

Thanks again.

Big Sur 11.5.1 keystroke delays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.