Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K not displaying HDR

I recently bought the Apple TV 4K and even though my tv supports HDR content,

when I change the video settings to 4K HDR the colours become dull. However the colours look good on the 4K SDR setting.

could someone please help me with this issue?

My TV is Sceptre 65” HDR U650CV-U

Apple TV, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:40 AM

Check with the manufacturer if your model TV supports HDR over HDMI from a set-top box.

Check if your TV needs to have its HDMI port configured for 4K HDR input. Some TVs have an “Enhanced” setting for that.

Use one of the HDMI 2.0 ports on your TV (not the HDMI 1.4 port, if also present).

Use HDMI 2.0 (or better) cables: 18 Gbps (or better).

Verify if your TV or Apple TV has software updates available.

Use HDR content to judge the HDR performance. Just setting HDR format output would send SDR content as HDR, resulting in an unnatural look, imho. Instead I would suggest to use the SDR setting, along with Match Dynamic Range, to automatically switch to HDR for HDR content only.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 5:40 AM in response to Sealskin

Check with the manufacturer if your model TV supports HDR over HDMI from a set-top box.

Check if your TV needs to have its HDMI port configured for 4K HDR input. Some TVs have an “Enhanced” setting for that.

Use one of the HDMI 2.0 ports on your TV (not the HDMI 1.4 port, if also present).

Use HDMI 2.0 (or better) cables: 18 Gbps (or better).

Verify if your TV or Apple TV has software updates available.

Use HDR content to judge the HDR performance. Just setting HDR format output would send SDR content as HDR, resulting in an unnatural look, imho. Instead I would suggest to use the SDR setting, along with Match Dynamic Range, to automatically switch to HDR for HDR content only.

Apple TV 4K not displaying HDR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.