Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if there is a power cut during an OS upgrade?

Hi,

I was wondering what happens if the power (in my house) goes out during an OS upgrade?

(No worries about the mac since it's got a battery, but I was thinking about internet connection.)

-Will the process restart itself once the power comes back, or do I need to fix something..? And if I need to do the restart - how do I do that?

Also, could someone give me a hint on how long it takes to update to Big Sur from Catalina?

Is it like four hours, or more about nine..? (Given there's no power failure.)

Thanks a lot! (in advance - I trust you :)

Milla

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 6:55 AM

If power to Router is lost during the download process - it will stop and AFAIK - will have to start from the beginning again.

Suggest using an Ethernet Connection to Router for more reliable and steady connect speeds. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer.

Depending on the Speed of you Connection will determine how long it is going to take.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 6:55 AM in response to myvinge

If power to Router is lost during the download process - it will stop and AFAIK - will have to start from the beginning again.

Suggest using an Ethernet Connection to Router for more reliable and steady connect speeds. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer.

Depending on the Speed of you Connection will determine how long it is going to take.

What if there is a power cut during an OS upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.