OS Update stuck on "Less than a minute remaining..."

I'm updating from Catalina to Monterey upon a Mac Mini 2014 (Late) device, it's reached the final stage but appears to be stuck now on the message "Less than a minute remaining..."

Anyone else seen this ?

Should I just leave it be, or power-cycle the box ? And can I recover in that case ?

I have another Mac Mini upgraded to Monterey without any issues - that that uses an SSD rather than M.2 adapter.

Also, the unit is becoming rather .. hot to touch.

Mac mini

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 7:18 AM

I gave up. Placed a Fan upon the box, and power-cycled the box. After restarting it launched into the Installation process and once again seems hung up on the "Less than a minute remaining..." prompt, at least this time, with the Fan blowing air over the casing it's not so hot to touch. After a while, the system went through a series of reboots, and now has completed the installation of the updated OS.... "Phew !"

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2023 7:18 AM in response to svaardt

I gave up. Placed a Fan upon the box, and power-cycled the box. After restarting it launched into the Installation process and once again seems hung up on the "Less than a minute remaining..." prompt, at least this time, with the Fan blowing air over the casing it's not so hot to touch. After a while, the system went through a series of reboots, and now has completed the installation of the updated OS.... "Phew !"

OS Update stuck on "Less than a minute remaining..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.