Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost iphone. received a message with location

I lost my iphone and now i received the following message:

apple.notifications:

Rafael’s iPhone 11 Pro Space Gray 64GB was found near to Miltiadou 11-13 Athens Greece at 1:39

PM CET.View location at tomtom-gps.online/aofq5*

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 9:28 AM

A message with information about the location of your iPhone is a scam. Apple does not do iPhone tracking. If you clicked on anything in the message or logged into your Apple ID from there, you have compromised your Apple ID. That would allow the thief, who sent the message, the ability to erase your device and use it.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 9:28 AM in response to rafaeldealmeida10

A message with information about the location of your iPhone is a scam. Apple does not do iPhone tracking. If you clicked on anything in the message or logged into your Apple ID from there, you have compromised your Apple ID. That would allow the thief, who sent the message, the ability to erase your device and use it.

Aug 9, 2021 9:25 AM in response to rafaeldealmeida10

Did you have "Find My" enabled on your iPhone BEFORE you lost it? If so, did you take the steps to mark it as lost? If so, that would have provided you the opportunity to include your contact information that would be displayed on this device. You could have also provided information on how the finder could contact you should they find it. Did you do that?

Aug 9, 2021 9:35 AM in response to rafaeldealmeida10

I don't know where you're from. I'm from Mexico, I was robbed and my iPhone was stolen more than a month ago. To this day, I still get messages exactly like the ones you are receiving. Maybe police could help, maybe not. In my case, they didn't help at all. Chances are you are not getting it back, ever. Sorry, I hate to be the one giving the bad news :/

lost iphone. received a message with location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.