Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Video Size

Hi

1. I would like to know if its possible to change video size and if iMove is the right software to do that, for example suppose I have a video of size 1000 x 500 px and I want to make its size 500 x 250 is that possible ?
  2. Second question is it possbile to change the video size to a different aspect ratio, for example the 1000 x 500 video I place it on a canvas of 700 x 500 and export whatever shows in the canvas as a new vedio ?

are those 2 tasks possible in iMove ?

Kindest Regards

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 8:11 PM

I'm not sure that iMovie really is suitable to do what you want to do, but I will give you my take on it and some possible procedures that might get you to where you want.

"Size" is defined as the physical size of the video on the screen. Size is different than aspect ratio. In iMovie you can change the size of the displayed video on the screen by using overlaying the picture onto a background and using the Picture in Picture feature to adjust the size. You will get black bars to make the overall display fit the fixed 16:9 dimensions of the iMovie screen. For example, the screen shots below show a video clip overlaid onto a black background, and then adjusted as to size. . In screen shot no. 1 the size is larger. In screen shot no. 2, the size is smaller. The aspect ratio is the same.

The problem is that you will need to eyeball the size change because iMovie does not have any way of setting the size to a specified numerical value, such as from 1000 x 500 to 500 x 250. At times I have used something as simple as a ruler to measure the size on the screen. So, since 500 x 250 is half the size of 1000 x 500, that would be easy to measure our on the screen.

As for aspect ratio, you can crop a clip to any aspect ration that you want by using the crop feature in the media browser screen. Again, this would leave you with black bars to make the display fit the overall 16:9 dimensions of the iMovie screen. Those dimensions are fixed and cannot be changed. Again, you would need to eyeball the aspect ratio change, because iMovie does not have any function where you can set the aspect ratio to specific numerical values.

Here is the clip selected in the project media browser screen and displayed on the screen in its original aspect ratio. Click on the crop tool and the Crop button in the upper left.

When you click the Crop button, you will see adjustment rectangles on the preview screen where you can select an area to crop to change the aspect ratio.

After you have selected your area to crop, click on the blue reset button (with the check mark in it) on the right to apply your changes. The clip now has a new aspect ratio.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 8:11 PM in response to ammarfromdoha

I'm not sure that iMovie really is suitable to do what you want to do, but I will give you my take on it and some possible procedures that might get you to where you want.

"Size" is defined as the physical size of the video on the screen. Size is different than aspect ratio. In iMovie you can change the size of the displayed video on the screen by using overlaying the picture onto a background and using the Picture in Picture feature to adjust the size. You will get black bars to make the overall display fit the fixed 16:9 dimensions of the iMovie screen. For example, the screen shots below show a video clip overlaid onto a black background, and then adjusted as to size. . In screen shot no. 1 the size is larger. In screen shot no. 2, the size is smaller. The aspect ratio is the same.

The problem is that you will need to eyeball the size change because iMovie does not have any way of setting the size to a specified numerical value, such as from 1000 x 500 to 500 x 250. At times I have used something as simple as a ruler to measure the size on the screen. So, since 500 x 250 is half the size of 1000 x 500, that would be easy to measure our on the screen.

As for aspect ratio, you can crop a clip to any aspect ration that you want by using the crop feature in the media browser screen. Again, this would leave you with black bars to make the display fit the overall 16:9 dimensions of the iMovie screen. Those dimensions are fixed and cannot be changed. Again, you would need to eyeball the aspect ratio change, because iMovie does not have any function where you can set the aspect ratio to specific numerical values.

Here is the clip selected in the project media browser screen and displayed on the screen in its original aspect ratio. Click on the crop tool and the Crop button in the upper left.

When you click the Crop button, you will see adjustment rectangles on the preview screen where you can select an area to crop to change the aspect ratio.

After you have selected your area to crop, click on the blue reset button (with the check mark in it) on the right to apply your changes. The clip now has a new aspect ratio.

-- Rich

Changing Video Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.