Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray line on the screen MacBook pro

Hello, suddenly on the screen of my Mac Book Pro 15inch 2018, on the right side, light gray vertical line appeared. Please have a look at the attachment.

The line is not visible when I am working on Photoshop or using for example Quick time player, or is not visible on my desktop. It can mostly be seen on a white backgrounds.

My laptop didn't fall or wasn't hit by anything, nothing is never placed over it as well.

I tried to google some solution but didn't find anything. Do you guys have any idea what can be the reason of it and if it can be fixed?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 10:36 PM

10 replies

Aug 9, 2021 11:28 PM in response to ewelinasko

ewelinasko Said:

"Gray line on the screen MacBook pro: Please check photos bellow. Thank you."

-------

Four Thoughts:

Based on your photos, here's what to do. Try the following, in the order provided...

A. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait for 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another sync.

B. Single Out this User:

Try creating a new administrator user, logging in to it, and then trying this once more. Do you still get this error? If so, it is likely an error with the macOS being corrupted somehow.

C. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Delete: this user
  4. Restart the Mac

D. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Aug 10, 2021 5:15 PM in response to jewelisme

ewelinasko Said:

"Gray line on the screen MacBook pro: I face the same issue mate.. last two days ago I upgrade mac os Mojave to Big Sur fixed my problem."

-------

Onc Last Thought:

Install the macOS Anew:

You may need to reinstall the macOS anew. Once installed, contact the Developers, if need be, of the currently installed apps. I'm no so certain how long a reinstall would take, but you'd need to back it up prior to the download, if no backup already exists.

So, to Reinstall the macOS anew:

You'd backup your Mac, install the previous macOS, and then migrate items back.

1. Create: a Time Machine Backup using an external Hard Drive
  2. Install: from a USB Installer created for Big Sur
  3. Migrate: items from your TMB
  4. Download then Install: the applications, getting the programs back from the Developers.

Aug 9, 2021 11:17 PM in response to ewelinasko

ewelinasko Said:

"Gray line on the screen MacBook pro: There you go. Please let me know if this helps. Thank you."

-------

Thank you for the screenshots...

Safari is the Issue Here:

It was not showing in your image, because Safari was open. Looking on the top-left, you can see that this is the Photos app giving you the issue. So, this is on a screenshot, meaning it is not a hardware issue. So, what you likely need to do is reinstall the macOS.

But, before we get to that: Is this intermittent? Does this only happen in Safari?

So, Troubleshoot Finder, first:

A. Close these Windows:

Reopening these windows should show it how it should be.

B. Refresh Finder:

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Refresh button

C. Open these Windows:

See if caches reset, and all is shown as should be.

D. Restart the Mac:

See if restarting if keeps it as it should.

Aug 9, 2021 10:50 PM in response to ewelinasko

ewelinasko Said:

"Gray line on the screen MacBook pro: Hello, suddenly on the screen of my Mac Book Pro 15inch 2018, on the right side, light gray vertical line appeared. Please have a look at the attachment."

-------

Please Provide a Photos:

I can't make it this line. so, please take a photo using your iPhone, pointing out the line by encircling it with a rectangle, or create an arrow pointing right to it. Do so, on in the Photos app.

Aug 10, 2021 12:39 AM in response to TheLittles

Hello again, thank you for taking time in looking in to this.

I just tired all the options and the line is unfortunately still there. I loged in as new administrator and was the same. And line is visible not only in safari, but also in chrome, finder.

I will try to reinstall macOS this evening. Will come back to you with the news hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you.

Gray line on the screen MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.