You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fan noise after upgrading macbook pro

Hi,

I did try to reply to another conversation about this but it seems the threads are locked. I'm trying to get some help on this for my daughter.

She has the same model of macbook pro as myself; 2015 retina. It was working fine until she updated the os from sierra to catalina & from then on the fan has been regularly making very loud noises. I've spent days researching online & it does seem lots of people have also had this issue. It's a shame Apple haven't issued a fix as its clearly an issue with the update. Anyway, I have a couple of questions following on from said research;

1) some folks have mentioned quitting chrome helper in activity monitor. When we've tried this the helper simply re-appears a few minutes later in the list. Is there a way to prevent that?

2) is there any update to this issue that has identified the actual cause? According to research it seems 1000's of users have the same issue but there are several different opinions as to what is causing it, from changes to fan management to a faulty sensor on the battery. For such a lot of machines, working as they should, to suddenly have fan issues after upgrading seems to indicate, firmly, this is something that Apple are responsible for.

thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 1:20 AM

1 reply

fan noise after upgrading macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.