Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access photos stored on external drive copied from old Mac

Hi, I hope someone can help me! I recently gave my old MacBook to my father - circa 2010. He downloaded around 300GB of iTunes, and photos onto an external hard drive for me, saved as "iPhoto.library". When I open up the hard drive, I am unable to click on the library and view my photos, in fact, the file menu doesn't accurately display the size (but the disk does). I can't find any old software to download. Feeling a bit stuck and hoping the community can help! Thanks in advance. Liz

MacBook

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 5:24 AM

Which system version is installed on your Mac? You should be able to open an old iPhoto Library in Photos, provided it has been created by iPhoto ‘11 or iPhoto ‘09 and not an older version.

launch the Photos.app while holding down the options key, until the library chooser dialog appears. Then select the iPhoto Library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 5:24 AM in response to Liz_needs_help

Which system version is installed on your Mac? You should be able to open an old iPhoto Library in Photos, provided it has been created by iPhoto ‘11 or iPhoto ‘09 and not an older version.

launch the Photos.app while holding down the options key, until the library chooser dialog appears. Then select the iPhoto Library.

Cannot access photos stored on external drive copied from old Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.