Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you set desktop spaces to remain in order?

In previous versions or MacOS desktop spaces would stay in the same position. Now they constantly move where they want seemingly.

Also they were easy to move between by simply using the Command key and the space #. It worked so well it was a snap to move between them if you were using multiple spaces. I used 8 spaces at one time.

Now it takes multiple steps to move between spaces, or multiple moves on the mousepad to get between spaces.

Its terrible. Its harder, NOT easier!

I want it to be stable. How can I accomplish that.

Not everything needs changing! Things that work well should be left alone.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 3:24 PM

System Preferences > Mission Control. Uncheck the box for "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use"

Also... System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control. Assign key combinations to Switch to Desktop 1, Switch to Destktop 2, etc.

EDIT - You can also set trackpad gestures to show desktops at the top of the screen and make them easy to select.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 3:24 PM in response to KRBi

System Preferences > Mission Control. Uncheck the box for "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use"

Also... System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control. Assign key combinations to Switch to Desktop 1, Switch to Destktop 2, etc.

EDIT - You can also set trackpad gestures to show desktops at the top of the screen and make them easy to select.

how do you set desktop spaces to remain in order?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.