Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after updating IOS to 14.7.1 Dolby Atmos turns off when I plug in headphones

Apple Music Spacial audio doesn't work. After updating IOS to 14.7.1 Dolby Atmos turns off when I plug headphones into my iPad Air

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 2:47 PM

What headphones are you using? See the 'Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad' section in:

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

If you choose Always On, here’s what you need:

If you want to use other headphones that don’t support automatic playback, choose Always On.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 2:47 PM in response to Pauliespimple

What headphones are you using? See the 'Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad' section in:

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

If you choose Always On, here’s what you need:

If you want to use other headphones that don’t support automatic playback, choose Always On.

Sep 16, 2021 12:40 PM in response to JockFlyHi

I don’t disagree with facts 1 & 2. As to fact 3 what publications state, I offer no opinion one way or the other (i.e. don’t care but appreciate that you do).

Re: first two facts, I have responded to already but summarize again for you: any headphone for listening, not for duplication. How good or bad it sounds depends on the headphone. I’ve already conceded that this fine difference can be misleading. Fact is, a $20 headphone can’t sound and behave the same as a $500 HP, at least not with Apple’s version of Atmos. That’s just plain common sense. So you need to take “any” with a huge fist of salt.

While you’re completely within your rights to protest the misleading “propaganda” suggest you take it up with Apple direct https://www.apple.com/feedback/, not here. I have no control over what gets written and/or how misleading it could be (and am not defending it either).

Your subjectivity issue, let’s take it up as a separate discussion post iOS 15 due in a few days (20th). Until then at the very least and possibly beyond depending on your specific headphone make/model, my advice for you and others in similar predicaments is to switch to Lossless. All the best!

Sep 15, 2021 9:31 PM in response to luketatkins

Another thing I’ll add is that I can play in Dolby Atmos on the Amazon Echo Studio speaker when I play it on my laptop but not on my phone. The Dolby Atmos only works on my phone when I use it for my AirPods. Ironically, when my girlfriend plays in Dolby Atmos on her phone on the Echo Studio, it works. Must be an issue with iOS 14.7.1 or something.

Sep 15, 2021 9:53 PM in response to luketatkins

I don’t know if anyone else noticed it but actually Dolby Atmos is working even though the logo doesn’t show while playing which is pretty much just a visual indicator, if you turn on and off Dolby Atmos while playing by sure you will notice the difference if it is working.

this is the case in my iPhone 12 iOS 14.8.

Sep 16, 2021 11:11 AM in response to hcsitas

Fact: every piece of Apple's propaganda says Dolby Atmos will work on ANY headphones.

Fact: lots of people are questioning why it's no longer working when it did before.

Fact: All independent hifi/music publications stated that spatial/atmos will work with ANY headphones.

Subjectively: I heard it on 14.6 it worked, it was good, it was better than 360 audio (which does work on Sonys because, like DA and PS5s tempest, this is only a new compression technology so should work on all headphones). It now sounds rubbish. It's a definite change from 14.6. I spent along time comparing mixes, and evaluating my favourite tracks. It is not what it was prior to the 14.7 update.

after updating IOS to 14.7.1 Dolby Atmos turns off when I plug in headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.