Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing and digitizing an analogue audio source?

Hi.

I have a bunch of old cassettes with interviews with old relatives I'd like to digitize. I've been trying to figure out how I'd do this. I have several IMacs. One old one has an audio-in port, the others all USBs etc. The cassette player I have has a 3.5 mm out-port. I know I'll have to buy a cable to connect the cassette player to the computer, but do I need anything else? Will the computer's sound card do the digitizing of the analogue signal from my cassette deck? Or do I have to buy an external sound card? Is Garageband the app I need to do this? Or will I need another program.

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 1:25 PM

I've been able to answer the questions I posted above.

It turns out to import analogue audio from a cassette tape you do not need a converter of any kind. What you do need is an older IMac with an “audio-in” port and a 3.55 mm cable with two male ends.

The first step was to go into Garage Band's preferences and in “audio input” select “built in input”.

In my case since my tapes were interviews I selected: real instrument/podcasting/male voice.

With these settings and my old Sony Walkman connected to the Imac's audio-in port via that cable I was able to start the tape, hit record in Garage Band and all went fine.

When finished I was able to send this new digital file to my desktop and from there move it to my computer with DaVinci Resolve and its audio program Fairlight.

What a shame the “audio-in” port has been removed from newer IMacs. Lucky for me I have an old one.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 1:25 PM in response to campbellstreet

I've been able to answer the questions I posted above.

It turns out to import analogue audio from a cassette tape you do not need a converter of any kind. What you do need is an older IMac with an “audio-in” port and a 3.55 mm cable with two male ends.

The first step was to go into Garage Band's preferences and in “audio input” select “built in input”.

In my case since my tapes were interviews I selected: real instrument/podcasting/male voice.

With these settings and my old Sony Walkman connected to the Imac's audio-in port via that cable I was able to start the tape, hit record in Garage Band and all went fine.

When finished I was able to send this new digital file to my desktop and from there move it to my computer with DaVinci Resolve and its audio program Fairlight.

What a shame the “audio-in” port has been removed from newer IMacs. Lucky for me I have an old one.

Aug 14, 2021 7:03 PM in response to campbellstreet

In GarageBand, you can use an audio input (line or mic) to record a live instrument such as a guitar, or mic'd piano or vocalist. You would set a "Track type" as audio, and after you've connected your mic to your Mac, you would setup the input in GarageBand > Preferences > Audio/Midi. GB won't present those input choices if none physically exist and are not configured in System Preferences > Sound.

To get your audio in via the headphone jack, a 3.5mm headphone splitter (example here) breaks out the Mac’s TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) combined audio port into two distinct ports - one that can be used for a mono microphone input connection, and the other for a stereo headset or speaker output.

When combined with a 3.5mm TRS stereo female jack to 3.5mm mono male plug adapter (example here) and 3.5mm stereo output cable you can take the audio from a cassette or CD player directly into the headphone jack and into GarageBand for editing.

The caveat here is that the headphone port is mono input, not stereo, and will accept only a single channel of audio. True 2-channel stereo recording isn't supported, but for your particular purpose it probably isn't necessary.

Aug 10, 2021 4:47 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply.

I've just looked at the Amazon link you included. Lots of converters there. I was wondering if I could ask you to suggest which one of them would be suitable for me. I see most have RCA inputs and also an audio input. That audio input looks like a 3.5 mm. Would it be the port I connect to the 3.5 mm audio/head-phones output port on my cassette player? As for output from the converter to the IMac, I see a port labeled coaxial on some of the converters that also looks like a 3.5mm. Would this be the

output from the converter to my computer?

I'm wanting to use these new digital files in a DaVinci Resolve project. If when converted they are stored in the ITunes Library how would they be accessible to Resolve? If I go in Finder to Itunes Music Library will I see them there and would I be able to copy them to Resolve?

Once more, thanks again for all your help.

John

Aug 14, 2021 4:38 PM in response to campbellstreet

campbellstreet wrote:

In fact, all current Mac models still support analog audio input via the headphone jack. Apple has designed it to be a multi-function port, and like the headphone port on iOS devices, it supports audio input as well as output. So, with the right cable and adapter it is possible to input audio into the Mac from an external microphone or from a cassette or CD player (mono only).

In case anyone else is wondering.

Aug 14, 2021 5:21 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Fascinating! I'd never heard that about the headphone jacks in newer IMacs.

If I could have used one of my newer IMacs to capture the cassettes can you tell me the settings I'd use?

Out of curiosity I looked at Garage Bands in my newer IMacs and noticed that, whereas in the old one in "preferences/audio input" I had the option of "audio in", which is what let me use the "audio-in" port, in the more recent models when I went to "preferences" the only options were either "built in microphone" or "system settings". Is it somewhere in "system settings" that I'd turn the headphone jack into an "audio-in" port?

Also, in my old computer Garage Band gives me the option "real instrument/podcast/male voice"which let me capture my interview tapes. When I looked at Garage Band in one of my newer Imacs I couldn't find a similar "podcast/male voice" option.

Could you tell me then what settings I'd have to use in Garage Band in a newer Imac to activate the "headphone" jack as an "audio-in" jack and what settings I'd use withing Garage Band to record voice?

Thanks.

John

Aug 14, 2021 5:23 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Fascinating! I'd never heard that about the headphone jacks in newer IMacs.

If I could have used one of my newer IMacs to capture the cassettes can you tell me the settings I'd use?

Out of curiosity I looked at Garage Bands in my newer IMacs and noticed that, whereas in the old one in "preferences/audio input" I had the option of "audio in", which is what let me use the "audio-in" port, in the more recent models when I went to "preferences" the only options were either "built in microphone" or "system settings". Is it somewhere in "system settings" that I'd turn the headphone jack into an "audio-in" port?

Also, in my old computer Garage Band gives me the option "real instrument/podcast/male voice"which let me capture my interview tapes. When I looked at Garage Band in one of my newer Imacs I couldn't find a similar "podcast/male voice" option.

Could you tell me then what settings I'd have to use in Garage Band in a newer Imac to activate the "headphone" jack as an "audio-in" jack and what settings I'd use withing Garage Band to record voice?

Thanks.

John

Aug 15, 2021 10:23 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks for the explanations and directions but I'm afraid I must be missing something.

You suggest I first set up “track type” as “audio”. I just can't see anywhere I can do that. (I set Garage Band to both “podcast” and “acoustic instrument” to see if each might offer different settings).

Also, after connecting in my case my Walkman to the IMac (with it both running and not) and going to “Preferences/Audio-Midi” I see no newly-appearing “audio input” options. All I still see are “system setting” and “built-in mic”.

You say that these new setting will not present if this new external source is not configured in “System Preferences/Sound”. When I do go to there I see “internal microphone” as the only “in-put option” and no way that I can add my Walkman and create a new audio “in-put” setting. (Again, I've opened these "System Settings" with the Walkman connected but not running and when it is running and playing a cassette.)

You also mention the use of a “3.5mm headphone splitter”, but it seemed to me it that would be meant for an in-put other that my Walkman's 3.5 mm port. Perhaps this is where I'm going wrong?

Thanks again.

John

importing and digitizing an analogue audio source?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.