Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE

I upgraded my phone's o/s not long ago when prompted to do so. It is up to date as of 10 August 21.

I noted recently that all my calls were being sent to voice mail without the phone ringing. This included calls from friends, family, and people such as physicians--calls one would want to take.

I took a look at "Do not Disturb" and found some rather disturbing settings. "Do Not Disturb" silences calls and notifications." OK.

"Scheduled" can be on or off. OK

Now we come to the item of interest: SILENCE. We have precisely two options:

Always

While iPhone is Locked

That's an either/or. One or the other of them MUST be checked. What this seems to means is that you have two choices:

Always: Never hear the phone ring.

While iPhone is Locked: Never, ever hear the phone ring again for anybody unless it's within the few minutes it remains unlocked after you've used it. (You can set that for anywhere from 5 minutes to a half hour or so, but it must be set.)

The answer to this is to leave your phone unlocked at all times. Great choice, huh? Just remain tethered to your charger every twelve hours or less. I checked with Apple Support on this.

I don't know if anybody has a solution, but this is going to put a serious damper on my ability to get things done. As it seems to be new, it seems they could fix it. Or if I've done my setup wrong, maybe someone will point that out for me so I can fix it.

Thanks.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 7:43 PM

I'm sorry, but in Do Not Disturb, the choices between Always or While iPhone is Locked only apply when Do Not Disturb is activated. If Do Not Disturb is off, they make no difference. If you do not have Do Not Disturb on and you are not getting ringing on your iPhone, there are a couple of things to check. On the side of the phone by the volume buttons, there is a Mute switch. See if that is turned on. It will be on Mute if the switch is towards the back of the iPhone and orange is showing in the switch. Also, check to ensure that you have a ringtone selected for phone calls and that you have the volume turned up. Also, in Settings>Phone, there is a setting for blocking unknown callers. That is Silence Unknown Callers. If you want to be able to receive calls from people not in your Contacts, make sure that is turned off.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 7:43 PM in response to beadfulthings

I'm sorry, but in Do Not Disturb, the choices between Always or While iPhone is Locked only apply when Do Not Disturb is activated. If Do Not Disturb is off, they make no difference. If you do not have Do Not Disturb on and you are not getting ringing on your iPhone, there are a couple of things to check. On the side of the phone by the volume buttons, there is a Mute switch. See if that is turned on. It will be on Mute if the switch is towards the back of the iPhone and orange is showing in the switch. Also, check to ensure that you have a ringtone selected for phone calls and that you have the volume turned up. Also, in Settings>Phone, there is a setting for blocking unknown callers. That is Silence Unknown Callers. If you want to be able to receive calls from people not in your Contacts, make sure that is turned off.

Aug 10, 2021 7:53 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for such a prompt reply! No need to apologize--your note contains a lot of helpful information. I checked the Mute button first thing, as I've been embarrassed by that one before. Same for the volume. The phone is on the charger right now, naturally, but when it comes off I will check on Silence Unknown Callers to make sure that's off. The only thing that worries me is your statement about Do Not Disturb being off. I never use it. I'm now wondering if it got set to ON during the update, which might have caused these problems. The phone very dutifully tells you that a silenced call has come in, and it will record voice mail from people.

I was ready to throw the phone out of the window. Now I think there may be hope. Thanks!

iPhone SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.