Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upload video to icloud of digitalized film

I digitized several films. They are 1.06GB and last around 15 minutes each. They play well on my iMac if I choose the VLC player. I imported them to the iPhotos cloud. When I try to play them from ICloud or iPhotos they play on the default Apple player and only play the first 30 seconds. The "Get Information" confirms the file is 1.06GB but only plays the beginning 30 seconds. When I import videos taken from any other source the entire video plays. The problem is only with these digitized videos. Any suggestions please?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:28 PM

I figured out the solution. When film is digitized it is saved to a .vob file. iCloud doesn't work well with .vob files. So I converted my .vob files to .m4v files. I was able simply to drag and drop the .m4v files into my iCloud photos and it worked without a problem.

When researching how to convert the files I tried several "free" apps and cheap apps, but none of them worked. They didn't like the .vob files or truncated them. I bought the Aimersoft Vidio Converter from the app store and it worked perfectly. It cost about $35 USD.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 10:28 PM in response to GeneSimring

I figured out the solution. When film is digitized it is saved to a .vob file. iCloud doesn't work well with .vob files. So I converted my .vob files to .m4v files. I was able simply to drag and drop the .m4v files into my iCloud photos and it worked without a problem.

When researching how to convert the files I tried several "free" apps and cheap apps, but none of them worked. They didn't like the .vob files or truncated them. I bought the Aimersoft Vidio Converter from the app store and it worked perfectly. It cost about $35 USD.

Aug 10, 2021 11:53 PM in response to GeneSimring

That seems to be a PAL 720x576 25fps MPEG2 .VOB video-DVD file, right? How did you "digitize" it? Maybe there is some encoding issue that VLC can bypass but iPhoto/Photos chokes on.

I have converted and deinterlaced such files to 768x576 H.264 .mp4 with MPEG Streamclip in El Capitan and Mojave (MPEG Streamclip is an old 32-bit app that no longer works in Catalina or later). But it also needs "QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component 2010" that is no longer available (and AFAIR MPEG2 playback is bundled with later macOS anyway).

So maybe your best bet would be to use Handbrake or VLC for the conversion.

Aug 11, 2021 4:39 AM in response to TonyCollinet

The original video is 15 minutes. When I save the video to my ICloud Photos it only saves the first 30 seconds. When I use VLC to convert it it only converts 22 seconds. I can play the entire 15 minutes on my iMac but not save it to the cloud.

The video converters in the App Store have pretty miserable reviews except for the very expensive ones.

upload video to icloud of digitalized film

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.