Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Problem(s) on Mac and iOS

I'm having a few issues with the Apple Music app on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. The Mac is a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Big Sur version 11.5.1. the iPhone and iPad are an iPhone 5S and iPad Air 1 both running iOS 12.5.4. The issues are as follows :

1. On the Mac an album doesn't appear under 'albums' however it does appear under artist view when I select the artist. This only happens for that one particular album.
  2. On the iOS devices, the music app splits up the album containing 6 songs into 1 album of 5 songs, and another album of 1 song. Again, this only happens with that 1 particular album. The same one from the above issue. However, this doesn't happen on the Mac. The album and 6 songs in it are displayed correctly.

It should be noted that the album/songs in the album are not from Apple Music or the iTunes Store. I imported the .MP3 files into the Music app.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this.

Thanks,

Jayanth

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:58 AM

For 1:

I'm not certain, but is that album perhaps marked as a compilation? See Grouping tracks into albums for general advice on managing content in the library.

For 2:

If iTunes or Music show multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Song Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen the application between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that the application wanted to keep separate start typing a value and use the autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 5:58 AM in response to JayanthSahasranamamula

For 1:

I'm not certain, but is that album perhaps marked as a compilation? See Grouping tracks into albums for general advice on managing content in the library.

For 2:

If iTunes or Music show multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Song Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen the application between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that the application wanted to keep separate start typing a value and use the autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Aug 12, 2021 4:22 AM in response to JayanthSahasranamamula

It may help if you can show me the details of some of the albums that are giving you a problem. Presumably you're syncing media from your library to your device, so changes you make in the library should sync to it. You can follow the process for merging split albums even if they don't appear to be split, then sync again to see if that fixes the issue on the device. In some cases it may also help to remove a problem album from the device, then add it back again.

tt2

Apple Music Problem(s) on Mac and iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.