Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie - unable to access entire Photos library

Greetings,

I'm trying to import media clips from my Photos library into an iMovie project that I'm working on. For some reason, when I try to do it from within iMovie, I can't seem to access all of my content. Some of it seems to be there, but not all.

What do I do to resolve that?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:19 AM

If you have iCloud Photos with optimized storage selected not all of your content will be accessible because the less frequently opened photos will be stored in the cloud rather than your hard drive. So you would need to download to your hard drive the photos stored in the cloud. That would go for any photos stored in the cloud. Also, iMovie will only access from the Photos library that has been designated as the system photos library in the Photos General preferences. So if some of your photos are stored in a different library those would not be accessed.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 10:19 AM in response to John C Lin

If you have iCloud Photos with optimized storage selected not all of your content will be accessible because the less frequently opened photos will be stored in the cloud rather than your hard drive. So you would need to download to your hard drive the photos stored in the cloud. That would go for any photos stored in the cloud. Also, iMovie will only access from the Photos library that has been designated as the system photos library in the Photos General preferences. So if some of your photos are stored in a different library those would not be accessed.

-- Rich

Aug 11, 2021 12:51 PM in response to John C Lin

Do you actually have Optimized Storage enabled? If you do and want to turn it off you can do so by going to your system Photos library General Preferences/iCloud and uncheck the box that says "optimize Mac storage".

However, if you do that your Mac will download all photos in your iCloud library, which could take a long time. You would also first need to insure that you have sufficient space to hold it all.

However, if all you want to do is access your Photos library for some iMovie projects, it would be easier to download just the photos that you want to use. To download individual photos click on them in your Photos library.

-- Rich

iMovie - unable to access entire Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.