Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

photos not importing into imovie

I am an experienced imovie user, but now many of my photos are not importing properly into my imovie project. I have tried different techniques of dragging out of photos, as well as from photos pane within imovie. I have started imovie and deleted preferences as somone had suggested but nothing is helping. The photos are very low-quality pixelated forms. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I've used the program extensively for 20 years (using most updated version) and have never encountered this issue.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 2:06 PM

Optimized storage is the problem. As you have found, if you turn it off the cloud will empty all of the photos that it is storing onto your drive. You have a very large amount of photos, and it would take a long down to complete the full download, maybe a couple of days. Besides, I doubt that you would want all those photos taking up space on your drive, or you wouldn't have used optimized storage in the first place.

I think that what you can do is open the Photos app library, create a smart album with a rule that encompasses the parameters that you want, and then open the photos to download them to the Photos library. You woudln't be downloading the whole library, but just those photos that you selected. Then you should be able to export the opened (downloaded) photos to your desktop, or import them into iMovie. Not using optimized storage myself, I think that that's the way it would work.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 2:06 PM in response to trombone man

Optimized storage is the problem. As you have found, if you turn it off the cloud will empty all of the photos that it is storing onto your drive. You have a very large amount of photos, and it would take a long down to complete the full download, maybe a couple of days. Besides, I doubt that you would want all those photos taking up space on your drive, or you wouldn't have used optimized storage in the first place.

I think that what you can do is open the Photos app library, create a smart album with a rule that encompasses the parameters that you want, and then open the photos to download them to the Photos library. You woudln't be downloading the whole library, but just those photos that you selected. Then you should be able to export the opened (downloaded) photos to your desktop, or import them into iMovie. Not using optimized storage myself, I think that that's the way it would work.

-- Rich

Jul 4, 2023 7:50 AM in response to trombone man

Are these photos stored in the cloud? If so, you may be mporting low res thumbnails instead of the full sized photos. If you think that this might be your situation, try first downloading the photos from the cloud, and then importing to iMovie.

If by chance you are using iCloud Photos with optimized storage activated, that would cause some of your photos to be stored in the cloud in order to save space.

-- Rich

Jul 4, 2023 10:24 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you! We might be getting warm, because I do have optimized storage. I switched that off. The problem is that when I turn off that function, it says I would need 900+ GB of extra storage for my photos. Is there a specific way to download only a certain date range, folder, or parameter (favorites within a date range). That seems like it would be an easy thing to do. The export function errors out. I also tried dragging from photos library to desktop folder, but also errors out.

photos not importing into imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.