Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I only listen to music I previously purchased by paying for an Apple Music subscription?

When I purchased my new iPhone 12 I suddenly could not access some of my music. I thought maybe I need to sync my phone and MacBook Pro music library. It appears I have to pay for an Apple Music subscription in order to listen to my music on the iPhone.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 5:57 AM

Mmad,

If you don't have a subscription, you can connect via USB and sync the "old fashioned way." In here are the steps:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

The main difference from iTunes is that the connected phone will appear in Finder, not in iTunes/Music. But after that the process works the same.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 5:57 AM in response to mmad5674

Mmad,

If you don't have a subscription, you can connect via USB and sync the "old fashioned way." In here are the steps:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

The main difference from iTunes is that the connected phone will appear in Finder, not in iTunes/Music. But after that the process works the same.

Can I only listen to music I previously purchased by paying for an Apple Music subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.