Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2006 15in MacBook pro

My 2006 15-in MacBook pro keeps shutting itself off when I power up whether it's plugged in or not. I've replaced the battery. I've charged it. The light on the charger cord is green. Yet it still shuts itself off immediately. can anyone help?

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:29 PM

"2006 15in MacBook pro: My 2006 15-in MacBook pro keeps shutting itself off when I power up whether it's plugged in or not. I've replaced the battery. I've charged it. The light on the charger cord is green. Yet it still shuts itself off immediately. can anyone help?"

Troubleshooting Mac Power:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 5:29 PM in response to Rebecca0741

"2006 15in MacBook pro: My 2006 15-in MacBook pro keeps shutting itself off when I power up whether it's plugged in or not. I've replaced the battery. I've charged it. The light on the charger cord is green. Yet it still shuts itself off immediately. can anyone help?"

Troubleshooting Mac Power:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Aug 11, 2021 6:06 PM in response to Rebecca0741

Since it is a 2006 and no longer supported by Apple, I'd suggest taking it to an authorized service provider and have them take a look at it - possibly running diagnostic tests. Have you done an Apple hardware test? That would be on disk # 2 of your original install disks.

FWIW, third party replacement batteries are quite often not worth the money you spend on them. The only semi-reliable ones I have heard of are at macsales.com

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/?q=2006+macbook+pro+battery

Aug 12, 2021 4:44 PM in response to Rebecca0741

FWIW, Apple does not manufacture batteries; so, even though they might have sold one, it would be from a different manufacturer even the original battery that was installed when you got the device.

If you do have the original disks, you may be able to boot up with that.

And yes, if it will not even power up, you do need to have it looked at somewhere. Remember that this machine is no longer supported, so unless you are told that the repair would be reasonable, you will need to make a decision if a 2006 is worth spending any money on.

2006 15in MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.