Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture Error for Brother scanner "You do not have permission to open the application" with OS 11.5

Scanner won't work with ImageCapture or Brother's own "OS 11" software Brother iPrint&Scan. Yes, I spent hours on Brother's website, downloaded their software, and chatted with them. They said it is my brand new iMac's fault. All other systems are working fine.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 2:14 PM

THANKS!! PROBLEM SOLVED! If you are having this problem, take a look at the doc referenced by 6x6. It took me less than a minute to do.

If you've spent all your time trying to find a solution, and don't have time to check out the doc, here it is in a nut-shell:

1. Quit any apps that are open.
  2. From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Type /Library/Image Capture/Devices, then press Return.
  4. In the window that opens, double-click the app named in the error message. It's the name of your scanner driver. Nothing should happen when you open it.
  5. Close the window and open the app you were using to scan. A new scan should proceed normally. If you later choose to scan from a different app and get the same error, repeat these steps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 2:14 PM in response to 6x6

THANKS!! PROBLEM SOLVED! If you are having this problem, take a look at the doc referenced by 6x6. It took me less than a minute to do.

If you've spent all your time trying to find a solution, and don't have time to check out the doc, here it is in a nut-shell:

1. Quit any apps that are open.
  2. From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Type /Library/Image Capture/Devices, then press Return.
  4. In the window that opens, double-click the app named in the error message. It's the name of your scanner driver. Nothing should happen when you open it.
  5. Close the window and open the app you were using to scan. A new scan should proceed normally. If you later choose to scan from a different app and get the same error, repeat these steps.

Aug 14, 2021 11:42 AM in response to 6x6

Thanks, but it didn't work- Brother must not have good software for OS 11. When I have "successfully" installed the downloads from Brother for OS 11, Library shows me these files only, none of which open an app with control- or right-clicks:

com.brother.utility.NETserver

com.brother.utility.USBAppControlServer

com.brother.utility.USBserver

com.brother.utilityWorkflowAppControlServer

Whether I have the above Brother files installed or not, Image Capture lists the scanner, but says "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345). Thanks again.

Image Capture Error for Brother scanner "You do not have permission to open the application" with OS 11.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.