Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU drop to 0.8Gz when Watching web video.

my IMAC 2017 (18.3) and macbook pro 2015 got problem since 2-3 month ago.

when I watching web video ( youtube, netflix, disney etc) in every browser (safari, chrome, firefox) and in 10-15 menit....boom cpu drop to 0.8Ghz and mac to be unusable, everything to be lag, keyboard, mouse, close application.

cpu thermal level : 250, reach cpu/gpu Plimit.

even I only watch in single tab in one browser no other app running. in 10-15 will drop cpu to 0.85Ghz and mac to laggy.

but if I running adobe primier pro, photoshop, illustrator with lot of layers, or watching offline video on quicktime everything run smoothly. thermal level under 60 degree celcius with external monitor, cpu temp around 55-60 degree celcius. fan under 2000 rpm.

I have tried many method that I read on internet (use fans control app, turbo boost, command line instruction, tweak browser configuration and many more) not work, change macbook thermal paste not working too.

I clean install macbook pro with big sur, imac with monterey public release beta. the problem still exist.

problem will gone if I close whole browser, thermal level will drop from 250 to 100 in 2-4 minutes and from 100 to 40-50 in 15-20 minutes everything back to normal if I'm not tried to watching video.

I tried open on system library extention apple put command to drop cpu floor .8Ghz when cpu thermal level reach : 250.

I don't know why cpu thermal level easy go to maximum when watching web video.

anyone here have same problem? or have any solution?

thank you.

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 12:50 PM

Thank you, I think I missed to check IO port.

my internet speed 50 Mbps, and connect through ethernet. because wifi used for printer.

when I saw IO port on IMAC, duh...so dusty. I never check the port since it new.

so I think this time to clean this my IMAC, vacuum intake vent, and duh..so dirty. and clean io port on back using air duster can.

change new ethernet cable, connect th3 dock, connect second monitor and test.

first test :

watch youtube using safari for 15 minutes, browsing 5 tabs, then running adobe photoshop edit my work: 40 minutes running test.

average result:

cpu thermal level : 58

gpu thermal level : 57.

io thermal level : 9

fan rpm : 1680 rpm

cpu die : 55-62

gpu die : 52

second test :

same method with 1st test. using chrome browser

averange result:

cpu thermal level : 70

gpu thermal level : 70

io thermal level :20

fan rpm : 1803

cpu die : 68

gpu die : 56

second test :

same method with 1st test. but using firefox browser

average result:

cpu thermal level : 60

gpu thermal level : 60

io thermal level : 12

fan rpm : 1745

cpu die : 63

so if we get high cpu/kernel_task. the first is check maybe dust block your cooling vent. before tried any programable method.

I love my IMAC again. fast and quiet...:)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 12:50 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you, I think I missed to check IO port.

my internet speed 50 Mbps, and connect through ethernet. because wifi used for printer.

when I saw IO port on IMAC, duh...so dusty. I never check the port since it new.

so I think this time to clean this my IMAC, vacuum intake vent, and duh..so dirty. and clean io port on back using air duster can.

change new ethernet cable, connect th3 dock, connect second monitor and test.

first test :

watch youtube using safari for 15 minutes, browsing 5 tabs, then running adobe photoshop edit my work: 40 minutes running test.

average result:

cpu thermal level : 58

gpu thermal level : 57.

io thermal level : 9

fan rpm : 1680 rpm

cpu die : 55-62

gpu die : 52

second test :

same method with 1st test. using chrome browser

averange result:

cpu thermal level : 70

gpu thermal level : 70

io thermal level :20

fan rpm : 1803

cpu die : 68

second test :

same method with 1st test. but using firefox browser

average result:

cpu thermal level : 60

gpu thermal level : 60

io thermal level : 12

fan rpm : 1745

cpu die : 63

so if we get high cpu/kernel_task. the first is check maybe dust block your cooling vent. before tried any programable method.

I love my IMAC again. fast and quiet...:)

Aug 12, 2021 7:41 AM in response to pakgundul

It appears it is struggling to Stream from Internet no matter what Browser is being used - correct ??

How is the Speed from your ISP. ?? Is this over Wifi ?? How good is the Wifi Signal to computer ?? How many Other persons or Devices are using the Wifi at the same time ?? Is the Wifi in the 2.5 Ghz band or 5 Ghz band or 6 Ghz band ?? What Band can the computer handle ??

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect. this too will slow the speed of Internet

CPU drop to 0.8Gz when Watching web video.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.