Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my 15" late 2011 macbook pro gets hot when doing very little work

So hi all, I have this MBP for awhile and have this issue for awhile but didn't use it as much so I thought its ok. Anyway I used High Sierra.

So the machine goes hot the fans spinning up very easy I cannot really keep it in my lap. If I just use safari it is like 50-60 degree. Using chrome is 55-75. I know chrome is more cpu hungry and stuff. My main issue is that any time I check the activity monitor it shows like 5-10 % of cpu load so why is it so hot?

I decided to downgrade to El Capitan. Fresh system same problem. Resetted smc, nothing. I took it to clean it and do a proper maintenance like change the fan paste and stuff, and everything is the same. Maybe they did a lousy job or did nothing who knows. So confusing I know it is an old computer but handling nothing or only chrome and get uncomfortable hot is weird, I guess this is something even a 10 ys old computer should handle especially a mac i think. So any idea?

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 8:16 PM

Boot the laptop into Safe Mode and check the CPU temperature while the laptop is sitting idle. This will give us the best indication of whether the thermal compound is a problem since the idle temperature should be less than 40C.

When you performed the clean install did you test the laptop thoroughly before restoring from a backup or installing any third party apps?

Have you disconnected all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 8:16 PM in response to Let there be Light

Boot the laptop into Safe Mode and check the CPU temperature while the laptop is sitting idle. This will give us the best indication of whether the thermal compound is a problem since the idle temperature should be less than 40C.

When you performed the clean install did you test the laptop thoroughly before restoring from a backup or installing any third party apps?

Have you disconnected all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem?

Apr 15, 2021 3:03 PM in response to HWTech

Hi, Thank you for your answer. The temperature in safe mode is 45 C.

I guess maybe they did change the thermal compound but used some cheap one.

I also compared my laptop to a friends old 2009 dual core 13 inh one and with the same task, watching YouTube on Chrome the actual CPU temp was the same about 60-78 C but his was cooler, I mean the actual bottom of the computer.

Since the clean install I haven't installed anything only Chrome.

No external device is used.

my 15" late 2011 macbook pro gets hot when doing very little work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.