Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine sharing and Access.

I have the external drive on my mini. Now I have researched that to backup macs across network, that the drive needs to be partitioned Mac OS journaled. Get info shows APFS. What is going on here?

The mini does backup ok. I have set up user backup as admin on all my systems.

But I cannot get Time Machine to work from my laptop and Desktop at all. Pretty much permissions, Now I have set the share for files to backup and read write. I do this remotely using screen share. Exit, and come back and those permissions are gone. Do these have to be set locally? Does not make any sense.

Thanks in advance.

T

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 5:10 PM

Hi cdljv130,

If you're using the Time Machine sharing feature, the other Macs will automatically take care of all backup management. As far as I'm aware, the other Macs create disk images on the host folder for their backups. Each disk image contains its own filesystem inside (such as Mac OS Extended Journaled, or APFS), so it doesn't matter what filesystem the host volume uses.

Also, in macOS Big Sur, Time Machine now uses APFS by default. Older versions of macOS still use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine backups.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2021 5:10 PM in response to cdlvj130

Hi cdljv130,

If you're using the Time Machine sharing feature, the other Macs will automatically take care of all backup management. As far as I'm aware, the other Macs create disk images on the host folder for their backups. Each disk image contains its own filesystem inside (such as Mac OS Extended Journaled, or APFS), so it doesn't matter what filesystem the host volume uses.

Also, in macOS Big Sur, Time Machine now uses APFS by default. Older versions of macOS still use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine backups.

Time Machine sharing and Access.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.