Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grant access to ext hdd to another mac

Hi,

I am trying to set up time machine TM on my MacBook Pro MBP to backup to an external hdd that is connected to my Mac mini. In system preference, I have set up share of the hdd and added a user profile that has read+write privileges.

When I set up TM on my MBP using that user profile, it gets an error message saying that it doesn’t have necessary privileges to access the disk.

what am I doing wrong? TIA, Rod.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 8:41 AM

One more step:

provided you are running at least 10.13 High Sierra on the Mini (the computer holding the shared drive) you select the shared folder or drive in File Sharing, and hold down the Control key while you click on its name, then choose "Share as a Time Machine backup destination":

Back up to a shared folder with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Once you do this, the folder/drive will be made available as a time machine destination, an extreme special case, and all should proceed normally.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 8:41 AM in response to rodc888

One more step:

provided you are running at least 10.13 High Sierra on the Mini (the computer holding the shared drive) you select the shared folder or drive in File Sharing, and hold down the Control key while you click on its name, then choose "Share as a Time Machine backup destination":

Back up to a shared folder with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Once you do this, the folder/drive will be made available as a time machine destination, an extreme special case, and all should proceed normally.

Grant access to ext hdd to another mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.