Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Just replaced battery in my MacBook Pro 2.6 GHZ dual core intel core i5 Retina with Battery A1582 A1493 for Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13”A1502 [2013 2014 2015 Years] plugged into charger battery not charging. Battery shows 43% but when charger is unplugged my Mac shuts down instantly.Pressing the power on button with charger unplugged no response,as soon as charger is plugged in and power button is pressed Mac turns on. Had charger plugged in for 6 hours but battery charge still at 43%.On drop down box below battery icon it states battery not charging. Have taken new battery back out and replaced with old battery and when power button is pressed Mac starts up as normal.I have contacted the seller and they claim that it is the correct battery for my model? The reason for changing original battery is that it has now done 1270 cycles and is now 8 years old and not holding charge 3 hours max from fully charged.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:17 AM

There is a good chance you have a bad battery. The quality of third party Lithium-ion Batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC or iFixIt. You've pretty much proven this by showing the old battery works.

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 13, 2021 6:37 AM in response to bevmick69

bevmick69 wrote:

Just replaced battery in my MacBook Pro 2.6 GHZ dual core intel core i5 Retina with Battery A1582 A1493 for Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13”A1502 [2013 2014 2015 Years] plugged into charger battery not charging. Battery shows 43% but when charger is unplugged my Mac shuts down instantly.Pressing the power on button with charger unplugged no response,as soon as charger is plugged in and power button is pressed Mac turns on. Had charger plugged in for 6 hours but battery charge still at 43%.On drop down box below battery icon it states battery not charging. Have taken new battery back out and replaced with old battery and when power button is pressed Mac starts up as normal.I have contacted the seller and they claim that it is the correct battery for my model? The reason for changing original battery is that it has now done 1270 cycles and is now 8 years old and not holding charge 3 hours max from fully charged.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Aug 14, 2021 1:57 AM in response to leroydouglas

Tried resetting SMC first holding down control option shift and power no good then tried shutting down and unplugging battery pressing power for 5sec then plugging battery back in followed by again pressing power on no response until I plug in power adapter Mac boots up but still battery not charging If I reinstall old battery charges and starts normal

Aug 14, 2021 4:53 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you HWTech I think you are right I have even checked battery voltages both are different I also checked charging voltage across the external pins from m/board voltage is good the only thing that I don’t understand is that with new battery connected it shows 43% but as soon as you unplug MagSafe Mac shuts down it is if the SMC doesn’t recognise the battery?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.