Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Numbers help

How do I CHANGE values in a whole column? say if I wanted to raise or lower all prices on my spreadsheet by a set amount.

Is there an Numbers equivalent for Excel’s ‘paste special’ with its add/subtract functions. All the help I’m seeing is about how to extract totals, I want to bulk edit/alter a set of values.

Thanks in advance for your help.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 12:18 PM

It is hard to tell from here how much or little experience someone has with spreadsheets. You mentioned Excel and you mentioned a feature that almost no beginner user would even know about, much less how to use it, so I assumed you were not a beginner with spreadsheets and would know about columns and math operations and simple formulas. Below are more detailed instructions

If your "whole column" is column B and you want to lower all your values by 5,

1. Add a new column next to B. Do this by right-clicking on the column letter B and choosing Add Column After. This will become column C. It may or may not be blank; doesn't matter.
  2. In cell C1 put the formula =B1-5 and press Return
  3. Select cell C1 and Copy (Command C)
  4. Select the rest of the cells in column C. Paste (Command V). All cells in column C should now have a formula that applies to their row. For example, the formula in cell C5 should be =B5-5. All the results should be 5 less than what is in column B.
  5. Select all the cells in column C
  6. Copy
  7. Select all the cells in column B
  8. In the Edit menu is Paste Formula Results. Do that. Column B should now have the updated numbers.
  9. Delete column C. Do this by right clicking on column letter C and choosing Delete Column.

It takes way less time to actually do all this than it does to write the instructions.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 12:18 PM in response to captain1974

It is hard to tell from here how much or little experience someone has with spreadsheets. You mentioned Excel and you mentioned a feature that almost no beginner user would even know about, much less how to use it, so I assumed you were not a beginner with spreadsheets and would know about columns and math operations and simple formulas. Below are more detailed instructions

If your "whole column" is column B and you want to lower all your values by 5,

1. Add a new column next to B. Do this by right-clicking on the column letter B and choosing Add Column After. This will become column C. It may or may not be blank; doesn't matter.
  2. In cell C1 put the formula =B1-5 and press Return
  3. Select cell C1 and Copy (Command C)
  4. Select the rest of the cells in column C. Paste (Command V). All cells in column C should now have a formula that applies to their row. For example, the formula in cell C5 should be =B5-5. All the results should be 5 less than what is in column B.
  5. Select all the cells in column C
  6. Copy
  7. Select all the cells in column B
  8. In the Edit menu is Paste Formula Results. Do that. Column B should now have the updated numbers.
  9. Delete column C. Do this by right clicking on column letter C and choosing Delete Column.

It takes way less time to actually do all this than it does to write the instructions.

Aug 13, 2021 12:59 PM in response to captain1974

Numbers does not have that same "Paste Special" operation.

1. Add a temporary new column
  2. Use formulas to change the numbers to what you want
  3. Select the new numbers and Copy
  4. Paste Formula Results back into the original column
  5. Delete the temporary column.

If this is something you do frequently, an AppleScript can be written to do what "Paste Special" does with add/subtract/multiply/divide, versus going through these steps each time. Or maybe a change can be made to your spreadsheet so it does not require this to be done.

Apple Numbers help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.