Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple still holding my music for ransom

after multiple conversations with apple reps. I have been told that in order to access the music that I purchased from Apple and ripped from CD's that I own, I will have to subscribe to the Apple Music rip off. Does anyone else have this issue ? is there a work around? I'm not going to allow my music to he held for ransom. this problem exists on all apple devices

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:24 PM

123MikeG wrote:

after multiple conversations with apple reps. I have been told that in order to access the music that I purchased from Apple and ripped from CD's that I own, I will have to subscribe to the Apple Music rip off.

Mike, The message may hove gotten confused.

Purchased music from the iTunes Store: If you are still using the same Apple ID, are in the same country, and the content is still available, you should be able to redownload fresh copies at no charge. Follow the steps in here:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books - Apple Support

Music you ripped from CDs: iTunes did not keep a copy in the cloud. If you start a subscription to Apple Music, you can download any of the tens of millions of songs in the catalog. It doesn't matter whether you previously ripped from CD or not.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 6:24 PM in response to 123MikeG

123MikeG wrote:

after multiple conversations with apple reps. I have been told that in order to access the music that I purchased from Apple and ripped from CD's that I own, I will have to subscribe to the Apple Music rip off.

Mike, The message may hove gotten confused.

Purchased music from the iTunes Store: If you are still using the same Apple ID, are in the same country, and the content is still available, you should be able to redownload fresh copies at no charge. Follow the steps in here:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books - Apple Support

Music you ripped from CDs: iTunes did not keep a copy in the cloud. If you start a subscription to Apple Music, you can download any of the tens of millions of songs in the catalog. It doesn't matter whether you previously ripped from CD or not.

Aug 13, 2021 2:23 PM in response to 123MikeG

Ideally all your media would be on a computer that you also have backed up. If that isn't the case but you have the media on an Apple device see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community. While Apple may not make it easy to extract media (to prevent casual copying) it is possible. The list of recovery tools is I'm afraid somewhat outdated but I cannot really edit that tip and haven't managed to create a replacement. A temporary subscription to Apple Music may be easier/cheaper than some of the alternatives.

tt2

apple still holding my music for ransom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.