Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Load iCloud from old Mac, then erase the Mac

My wife has an old MacBook Air that she hasn't used in more than 2 years. She may have some files on it she'd like to keep, so I'm thinking I'll hook it up to iCloud (if it'll still boot up!), move all her old files to iCloud so she can get to them from her iPad, then wipe the MacBook. But that begs the question: Will files I load to iCloud from the old Mac disappear when I wipe it? Note that I won't delete anything from the Mac - just erase it so it can be recycled. Of course, if it won't boot anymore, then this question is moot.

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 2:43 PM

If you wipe the disk using Disk Utility and reinstall macOS, then no, it won't delete the files you uploaded to iCloud. Just don't manually delete the files from synced folders as you normally delete files, that would sync with iCloud and then yes, delete it from there too.

Once you get you files, follow this What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 2:43 PM in response to TexanInParis

If you wipe the disk using Disk Utility and reinstall macOS, then no, it won't delete the files you uploaded to iCloud. Just don't manually delete the files from synced folders as you normally delete files, that would sync with iCloud and then yes, delete it from there too.

Once you get you files, follow this What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 13, 2021 2:53 PM in response to Rafael Scheid

Thanks! While I was waiting for an answer, I stumbled on that article on my own. It's very clear about how to preserve files loaded to iCloud:

3. Sign out of iCloud

If you're using macOS Catalina or later, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID. Select Overview in the sidebar, then click Sign Out.

If you're using macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Sign Out.

You will be asked whether to keep a copy of your iCloud data on this Mac. You can click Keep a Copy, because you're erasing your Mac later. Your iCloud data remains in iCloud and on any other devices that are signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID.

Load iCloud from old Mac, then erase the Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.