Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring my MacBook Pro to a new one works, but no data file were tranferred

Buying a new MacBook Pro, I set it from my Time Machine (Airport Capsule) last saved image.

Works fine for my settings, applications, etc but no data file while this was selected.

I then tried with migration tool to start it again, and even if I'm connected and can see my airport capsule data in finder, it cannot connect to it in migration tool... asking a password (which is correct) and then "error please contact your admin..."

Any tricks??

My airport is connected to the wifi in LAN via a VELOP mesh device, so in bridge mode, not used as modem or network provider.

I can access the data, so should not be the issue...

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 3:48 PM

The trick may be to archive the TC to a USB drive plugged into it.

Then plug that USB drive into the new Macbook Pro.

That no data files were transferred suggests something is really up with backup or something else is happening.

I am not sure how you first tried to transfer files but you should have used migration assistant to begin with.

When people get into major issues my recommendation is to recreate the original boot drive using System Assistant in the boot loader instead of migration.. but Big Sur might be messing things up there.

My airport is connected to the wifi in LAN via a VELOP mesh device, so in bridge mode, not used as modem or network provider.

As a test you can also reset the TC to router with wifi turned on.. connect new Macbook to the TC wifi. Then the computer will have a direct connection over wifi to backup .. this may help.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 3:48 PM in response to stienAl

The trick may be to archive the TC to a USB drive plugged into it.

Then plug that USB drive into the new Macbook Pro.

That no data files were transferred suggests something is really up with backup or something else is happening.

I am not sure how you first tried to transfer files but you should have used migration assistant to begin with.

When people get into major issues my recommendation is to recreate the original boot drive using System Assistant in the boot loader instead of migration.. but Big Sur might be messing things up there.

As a test you can also reset the TC to router with wifi turned on.. connect new Macbook to the TC wifi. Then the computer will have a direct connection over wifi to backup .. this may help.

Restoring my MacBook Pro to a new one works, but no data file were tranferred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.