You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app wants me to turn off Genius

Music app wants me to turn off Genius, but the instructions don't follow what I see. What should I do?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 4:58 PM

You cannot turn off Genius if you have iCloud Music Library enabled as part of Apple Music or iTunes Match. Turn off Sync Library first in preferences, turn off Genius, close iTunes, then turn Genius back on again and re-enable Sync Library.

tt2

14 replies

Aug 19, 2021 9:56 AM in response to howardfromlafayette

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support. The error is with the matching/uploading service. You can try right-clicking and see if Add to Library is available to try and force it to have another go. If it still fails you may need to make a new copy of the song in 256K AAC format and see if that will match or upload.

tt2

Aug 19, 2021 9:50 AM in response to turingtest2

I have unauthorized/authorized a couple of times while working on this.

I just opened it in safe mode and could search for Apple Music. Then I closed it and opened it again normally and could search for Apple Music. Twice, I found it working when earlier it wasn't working and wonder if there's some kind of delay.

I just checked iCloud Status for my songs and see 18 songs with "error" status, a couple hundred in "waiting" status, a bunch in "Apple Music" status, and thousands of "uploaded" and "matched" status.

I'll see what those show next time I lose the ability to search Apple Music.

Music app wants me to turn off Genius

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.