Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

closing open ports on a MAC,

My security suite states that i have way to many open ports on my mac laptop and found 2 email accounts of mind that already leaked. The mac is ran off a personal personal wifi device and I am trying to find out if these 2 problems are related and how can a rookie mac user, (fed android all my life and recently, and how I can fix it before any more damage is done.. grew up and am trying my luck at a mac),anybody got any advice????

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 6:29 PM

I concur with both BobTheFisherman's & Grant Bennet-Alder's comments.

FWIW, your Mac comes with two "software" firewalls built into the macOS operating system. Outside of a router, these are the only other ports that could be controlled. Both of these firewalls are disabled by default, as they are really not needed for normal use. However, either or both can be enabled if desired ... but again, not really recommended unless you are technically confident of what you are doing.

These two firewalls work at different levels of the OSI model. The one that you can enable via a graphical interface, works at the application layer. You can access it from: System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall. The other works at the network layer and you would configure via commands in the Terminal app or by using a 3rd-party app that uses a graphical interface as well. If none of this makes sense to you, then you really shouldn't tamper with either.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 6:29 PM in response to lead404

I concur with both BobTheFisherman's & Grant Bennet-Alder's comments.

FWIW, your Mac comes with two "software" firewalls built into the macOS operating system. Outside of a router, these are the only other ports that could be controlled. Both of these firewalls are disabled by default, as they are really not needed for normal use. However, either or both can be enabled if desired ... but again, not really recommended unless you are technically confident of what you are doing.

These two firewalls work at different levels of the OSI model. The one that you can enable via a graphical interface, works at the application layer. You can access it from: System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall. The other works at the network layer and you would configure via commands in the Terminal app or by using a 3rd-party app that uses a graphical interface as well. If none of this makes sense to you, then you really shouldn't tamper with either.

Aug 14, 2021 6:00 PM in response to lead404

In the extremely unlikely case that you have extra ports open and need to close them, you do this on your Router, using the Router's interface.

Your Mac is fully protected and unreachable from the Internet because it uses Network Address Translation service provided by your Router. IP addresses like 192.168.xxx.yyyand 10.10.xxx.yyy are not Routable, and require the Router to act on your behalf when talking on the Internet. Any packets that were not explicitly requested by your Apps are immediately discarded at the Router.

BobTheFisherman's advice to discard this junk is spot-on.

Aug 15, 2021 3:55 PM in response to Tesserax

OKAY, You folks really know your stuff. I am of the older generation and am self taught when it comes to modern technology.

I learned everything ANDROID & now that I am attending school, I felt I needed to grow up. SO, thanks so much. My firewall was on when I checked it so I will not tamper with it. Now if I could just figure out how to eject a disc I inserted, the tech world of mine would rock. Thank you kindly folks.

closing open ports on a MAC,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.