Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods 1st Gen disconnecting after a few seconds

I had my AirPods 1st gen for over a year when suddenly it started to disconnect after 5-20 seconds after when I put them in my ears. The disconnection happens after a tick in my ears. The firmware is updated and it happens when one of each is in the ear or both. After the disconnection, it won't pair until I put the Airpods in the case, close it and open it again.

I have not seen any solution for this, and have not even heard of the same issue anywhere. Can you please help me? I love my AirPods, and I can't get it to an Apple store for fixing or replacement, therefore I or a local should fix it.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 11:39 AM

Hi behzadbojnordi,

Thanks for the follow up. To get some additional ideas on how to help, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you tested your AirPods with another Apple product such as an iPhone or Mac, or even another brand of phone, tablet or pc? If you haven't and you can, give that go and let us know if the issue persists.
  • Have you tested another Bluetooth device with your iPad? If so, did you experience the same issue with disconnects?
  • Do you find this same issue happens regardless of the app you're using?
  • We see that the iPad you use them with is updated to iPadOS 14; is it version 14.7.1?

Best wishes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 11:39 AM in response to behzadbojnordi

Hi behzadbojnordi,

Thanks for the follow up. To get some additional ideas on how to help, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you tested your AirPods with another Apple product such as an iPhone or Mac, or even another brand of phone, tablet or pc? If you haven't and you can, give that go and let us know if the issue persists.
  • Have you tested another Bluetooth device with your iPad? If so, did you experience the same issue with disconnects?
  • Do you find this same issue happens regardless of the app you're using?
  • We see that the iPad you use them with is updated to iPadOS 14; is it version 14.7.1?

Best wishes.

Aug 16, 2021 9:33 PM in response to Missy5937

• Yes. I have tried it with an android phone, with another iPhone, Macbook (Air m1 and Pro 13' 2015), and iPad pro. the issue was seen in working with any of them.
  • I don't have any issue with any of my other devices or their accessories. All Bluetooth devices work fine. Also, I have connected the Airpods pro from my friend, and it worked fine.
  • Yes, I have used Music, podcasts, games, and audiobooks, but the AirPods disconnect after a couple of seconds anyway.
  • Yeah, the software version is 14.7.1.

Actually, the problem started 1.5 years ago, and as I remember, the disconnections were after one hour or so, and then it decreased to couple of seconds.

Aug 15, 2021 7:19 PM in response to behzadbojnordi

Hello behzadbojnordi,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into an issue with your AirPods disconnecting from you iPhone unexpectedly. Making sure your firmware and software are updated, is a great first step. Have you by chance tried resetting your AirPods? If not, we'd suggest starting there. The steps for this process are provided in the article below.

How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro

Let us know if this helps!

Best regards.

Aug 19, 2021 11:36 AM in response to behzadbojnordi

Hi behzadbojnordi!

Thanks for much for answering our questions. Given the behavior has been specifically isolated to the AirPods and resetting them hasn't corrected the issue, getting them in for inspection by a technician is your best option. You can take a look at AirPods repair information at AirPods Service and Repair or contact Apple Support at Get Support to discuss your options.

Best of luck!

AirPods 1st Gen disconnecting after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.